Dayal is Maharashtra’s new police chiefJuly 31st, 2012 - 7:14 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 31 (IANS) Sanjeev Dayal, a 1977-batch IPS officer took over Tuesday as the new director general of police of Maharashtra from his predecessor K. Subramanyam, who has retired.
Dayal, hailing from Delhi, was a former commissioner of police of Mumbai and was well known for his integrity and strictness. In his 35 years of service as an IPS (Indian POlice Service) officer, Dayal has held several key positions across the state, along with stints with the Intelligence Bureau (IB) and Special Protection Group (SPG).
He was handling the reins of the Anti-Corruption Bureau as the DGP before he took over as the state’s top cop.
On May 31, 2010, Dayal took over as commissioner of Mumbai Police. He is famous for his strictness even with US President Barack Obama’s convoy during his visit to India in November 2010 when he refused to allow US Secret Service agents to dictate terms to Mumbai Police.
With Obama and the Michelle seated inside Cadillac One, Dayal did not allow the presidential convoy to move for 11 minutes, until US snipers were cleared from unauthorised vantage points along the route.
Between 1988 and 1992, Dayal was on central deputation with the IB, following which he was posted as the superintendent of police at Amravati, Maharashtra. From 1993 to 1995, he was additional commissioner of police of northwest Mumbai.
He also served with the SPG from 1995 to 2002. As external security chief in 1999, he was responsible for the security of former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee during his historic visit to Pakistan.
- D. Sivanandan is new Maharashtra top cop (Second Lead) - May 31, 2010
- New Maharashtra, Mumbai police chiefs announced - Feb 28, 2011
- Former Mumbai police commissioner Hasan Gafoor dead (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- K. Subramaniam new Maharashtra police chief (Lead) - Sep 28, 2011
- New police chiefs named for Maharashtra, Mumbai (Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
- BCCI appoints former SPG director as security advisor - May 18, 2010
- Sivanandan is new Maharashtra police chief (Lead) - May 31, 2010
- President's son quizzed over Rs.1 crore seizure - Feb 21, 2012
- Ashok Prasad takes over as new Kashmir police chief - Jul 23, 2012
- 'Communication gap' led to Rs.1 cr seizure, says Patil's son (Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
- Patnaik transferred, Satyapal Singh is new Mumbai top cop (Third Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- 26/11 hero is Mumbai's new joint police commissioner - Aug 30, 2012
- 41 IPS officers reshuffled in Maharashtra - May 23, 2011
- Prasad will be new Kashmir police chief (Second Lead, Changing dateline) - May 28, 2012
- Four killed, six injured in Maharashtra accident - Jan 27, 2012
Tags: barack obama, commissioner of police, convoy, corruption bureau, deputation, dgp, external security, former prime minister, indian police service, intelligence bureau, ips officer, maharashtra, reins, sanjeev, secret service agents, security chief, special protection group, stints, vajpayee, vantage points