Davis Cup: Uzbekistan take 2-0 lead against IndiaApril 6th, 2012 - 7:38 pm ICT by IANS
Namangan (Uzbekistan), April 6 (IANS) India suffered a bad start in their Davis Cup Asia/Oceania Group I tie against Uzbekistan with debutant Sanam Singh and Yuki Bhambri losing their singles rubbers here Friday.
Sanam went down 3-6, 2-6, 4-6, to World No.43 Denis Istomin in less than two hours. It was always going to be a tough match for Sanam as Istomin was in top shape having recently beaten American Andy Roddick in an ATP event in the US.
Asian Games gold medallist Sanam, a hardcourt spacialist, found it tough to adjust to the clay courts at the Pahlavon Sport Complex.
Bhambri, playing his first live rubber since making his Davis Cup debut in 2009, lost to Farrukh Dustov 4-6, 4-6, 3-6 in the second singles
Bhambri, ranked 295, was expected to shoulder the challenge in the singles in the absence of injured Somdev Devvarman. But the 19-year-old Indian lost to the 262nd ranked Uzbek.
India are still in the tie as the experienced duo of Leander Paes and Rohan Bopanna take on Istomin and Dustov in the doubles Saturday. In Sunday’s reverse singles, Bhambri faces tougher task in facing Istomin in the fourth singles. The only time the met in Miami 2010, Istomin emerged the winner.
- Davis Cup: Uzbekistan take 3-0 lead against India - Apr 07, 2012
- India relegated to Group II after Davis Cup loss (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- Bhambri upsets Istomin in dead rubber - Apr 08, 2012
- Mahesh Bhupathi opts out of Davis Cup tie - Mar 06, 2012
- Davis Cup: Yuki gives India 1-0 lead - Sep 14, 2012
- I pushed Nishikori to step-up his game: Vardhan - Sep 18, 2011
- Somdev's strained shoulder makes him doubtful for reverse singles - Sep 17, 2011
- Davis Cup: India captain weighs his options - Sep 12, 2012
- Davis Cup: Somdev to lead India's challenge against Japan - Aug 19, 2011
- Switzerland defeats Australia 3-2 in Davis Cup play-off - Sep 19, 2011
- Davis Cup: Japan takes unbeatable 3-1 lead against India - Sep 18, 2011
- Paes to miss Davis Cup tie against Japan - Sep 13, 2011
- India go down to Chinese Taipei in Junior Davis Cup - Apr 18, 2011
- After 19 years, Chandigarh to host Davis Cup tie - Sep 02, 2012
- We need another player in world's top-100: Somdev - Sep 20, 2011
Tags: andy roddick, asia oceania, asian games, clay courts, cup asia, cup debut, davis cup, debutant, denis istomin, games gold, gold medallist, hardcourt, leander paes, namangan, rohan bopanna, sanam singh, somdev devvarman, sport complex, uzbek, yuki bhambri