Dates of CPI-M, CPI’s Kerala conferences clashSeptember 13th, 2011 - 7:22 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Sep 13 (IANS) The Kerala state conferences of the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) and the Communist Party of India (CPI) will overlap, an indication that the two parties might work closely in the opposition Left Democratic Front (LDF), but they don’t always see eye to eye.
While the CPI had announced way back in March that their state conference would be held Feb 7-11, 2012 at Kollam, the CPI-M announced last month that their party conference would be held here Feb 7-10, 2012.
The state conference is held once every three years and serves to demonstrate the strengths of the respective parties.
“It is very unfortunate that both Communist parties are holding their state conference on the same days. We had announced our schedule first,” said CPI leader and former minister C. Divakaran.
“This is happening at a time when there are talks of a possible merger of the two parties,” he lamented.
The CPI-M and CPI have had a stormy relationship in the state.
From 1969 to 1979, the CPI was an ally of the Congress in the state. It was only from the time of the first E.K. Nayanar government in 1980 that the CPI threw in its lot with the CPI-M, be it either in the government or in the opposition.
A major reason for the CPI’s unhappiness stems from the realisation that the maximum publicity would be garnered by CPI-M, which is far ahead of it in size and popularity.
But the CPI-M is unfazed.
“So what if the dates clash. We fixed the dates in a manner in which it suits the leadership of our party,” said a top CPI-M leader, who did not want to be named.
- Chennithala takes potshots at CPI-M - Jan 10, 2012
- Communists in Kerala squabble like never before (Kerala Newsletter) - Feb 12, 2012
- CPI-M to probe allegations against senior party leader - Feb 05, 2011
- Kerala CPI-M fields Chintha editor for Rajya Sabha (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Out of politburo, Achuthanandan is miffed - Apr 09, 2012
- Achuthanandan: Stalinist, but a man of the masses - May 13, 2011
- Congress makes gains in Kerala local bodies polls (Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- Kerala communists spar ahead of state meet - Feb 06, 2012
- Congress wins Kerala cliffhanger from 'old man' Achuthanandan (Roundup) - May 13, 2011
- CPI-M's Bengal conference to discuss poll debacle - Feb 15, 2012
- Achuthanandan should quit over liquor tragedy allegations: Opposition - Feb 07, 2011
- CPI-M expels senior Kerala leader - Jul 02, 2011
- 4 Left legislators willing to cross over: Kerala UDF leader - Apr 23, 2012
- Tension within the ranks haunt UDF and LDF too (Kerala Newsletter) - Aug 17, 2012
- Pinarayi Vijayan re-elected to top Kerala CPI-M post - Feb 10, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,