Darsheel Safary, Bhaichung Bhutia to get Rajiv Gandhi AwardAugust 13th, 2008 - 10:16 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 13 (IANS) Young actor Darsheel Safary, football star Bhaichung Bhutia, social activist Anna Hazare and Bollywood star Kareena Kapoor are among those who will receive the 11th Rajiv Gandhi Award for their contribution to their respective fields, it was announced here Wednesday. Indian wrestler Dalip Singh Rana, who made a mark in the world arena as ‘The Great Khali’, singer Malkit Singh who received the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (MBE) by Queen Elizabeth-II and senior journalist Vir Sanghvi are also amongst the awardees, a press release said.
Instituted in the memory of former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi, the awards shall be presented at a function to be held Aug 17, said Congress legislator Charan Singh Sapra, who is the convenor of the awards committee.
The others who will receive the honour include entrepreneur and educationist Sunny Varkey, Bollywood actor Saif Ali Khan and Vandana Luthra as the woman achiever.
The ceremony Sunday is expected to be attended by Information and Broadcasting Minister Priya Ranjan Dasmunshi, Petroleum Minister Murli Deora, All India Congress Committee (AICC) general secretary Digvijay Singh and Maharashtra Chief Minister Vilasrao Desmukh.
Item girl Rakhi Sawant is to perform a special patriotic act on the occasion. The live stage show will also see performances by Salman Khan, Kareena and music director trio Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy.
Prominent past awardees include Sunita Williams, industrialists Mukesh Ambani, Adi Godrej, Kumaramangalam Birla, Anand Mahindra, painter M.F. Husain, Kapil Dev, Sania Mirza, Sachin Tendulkar, Shah Rukh Khan and Aishwarya Rai.
- Saif, Lara Dutta get Rajiv Gandhi award - Aug 18, 2008
- 19 Arjuna Awards to be conferred this year - Aug 18, 2011
- Road safety brand ambassador: Not Big B, pleads Congress - Jun 04, 2012
- Yogeshwar, Vijay Kumar recommended for Khel Ratna - Aug 18, 2012
- Khali mobbed, two fans injured in firing - Jan 22, 2011
- Mumbai Congress for ban on 'Shanghai' song - Jun 05, 2012
- Two get Khel Ratna, 25 Arjuna Award - Aug 19, 2012
- President confers Narang with Khel Ratna, Arjuna for 19 athletes - Aug 29, 2011
- Khali puts his weight behind Anna - Aug 27, 2011
- Rajiv Gandhi Sadbhavana award for D.R. Mehta - Aug 04, 2012
- Mario, Dharmendra, Shabana conferred Padma awards - Apr 04, 2012
- Hamid Ansari gives away 59th National Film Awards - May 03, 2012
- Priya Dutt, Daler Mehndi get Rajiv Gandhi Excellence Awards - Aug 21, 2012
- Vijay, Yogeshwar awarded Khel Ratna; Yuvraj gets Arjuna (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Secularism should be way of life: Sonia - Aug 20, 2010