Daring to bare - with the off-shoulder dressSeptember 3rd, 2008 - 9:27 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 3 (IANS) From Hollywood divas to Mumbai queens, everyone wears it for red carpet events. Sensuous yet sober, the off-shoulder dress is in vogue this season.Most fashion designers believe that off-shoulder outfits are the perfect way to make a bold fashion statement without crossing the line.
“Off-shoulder dresses make one look glamorous and sexy and this makes them a big turn on for men,” designer Amit GT told IANS. “They are very popular at red carpet events because a long off-shoulder dress gives a feminine and sensual touch to a woman.”
Designer Gunjan of the duo Rahul-Gunjan believes they are an extension of tube tops and corsets.
“A corset and a tube top were very popular last season, but this time off-shoulder dresses are making waves. The only difference is that these clothes give women an elegant and alluring look for any evening,” Gunjan said.
These clothes work well for any height and shape, though they tend to look better on well-endowed women.
“Any woman can wear these dresses - even a plump woman can carry these dresses elegantly and they will not look vulgar in any way,” designer Gauri of the Gauri-Nainika duo said.
Designer Amit agreed that these dresses are a blessing in disguise for women on the heavier side as they hide the flab on the tummy and thighs perfectly and make them actually look slimmer.
The neckline of this style sweeps across the chest and rests just below the shoulders, giving women a complete different look!
“The USP of these dresses is that they have a flattering neckline and accentuate the body and shoulder completely,” Karan told IANS.
An off-shoulder dress instantly shows a lot of skin, but not necessarily the areas a woman is not comfortable showing off, like her lower back or cleavage.
“These dresses are very cool and comfortable. We do not have to bother about straps popping out of our dresses or cleavages getting unnecessary attention,” model Amanpreet Wahi said.
“In fact, two-piece dresses are completely out of fashion these days. Showing the midriff is completely out. Neck and shoulders are the sexy part of the body,” she said.
Even though everyone gives a thumbs up to the off-shoulder dress, women with fuller arms should shy away from them or else should wear a shawl, shrug or cross-jacket to hide the flab.
Apart from this, it is very important to accentuate the look with a necklace, strategically placed brooch or dangling earrings.
“Go for a pair of large earrings that frame your face or simply pick up a funky necklace. Keep the make up minimum and tie you hair so that your shoulders get the attention,” advised makeup artist Samantha Kocchar.
- From traditional to sexy, blouses get retro makeover - Aug 17, 2011
- The drape is reborn - sari gets sexy avatar (With Image) - Mar 01, 2012
- Kate Middleton best dressed bride, say Indian designers - Apr 29, 2011
- Who says short girls can't flaunt gowns? (With Images) - Jun 06, 2012
- When fashion went boho and vintage (2011 in Retrospect) - Dec 16, 2011
- Try a kundan choker with that gown (Feature) - Aug 09, 2011
- It's traditional over glitzy saris for Sharmila! (WIFW Diary) - Apr 08, 2011
- Style quotient at Oscars - hits and misses - Feb 28, 2011
- Mix of colours, contrast and bling at WIFW - Oct 09, 2011
- SAG Awards 2011 Red Carpet Dominated By Plunging Neckline - Jan 31, 2011
- Top Wedding Dresses Of 2011: A Sneak-Peek - Jan 03, 2011
- Turn on unisex fashion this winter - Nov 24, 2011
- Deepika one-up on Ash in first Cannes appearance (With Images) - May 14, 2010
- Itsy-bitsy cholis spice up Bollywood (Feature) - Dec 03, 2011
- Key to fashion statement is figuring out body type - Sep 21, 2010