Daredevils crush Chargers as Warner smashes blazing ton (Roundup)May 10th, 2012 - 9:57 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, May 10 (IANS) David Warner hit a blistering unbeaten century and Naman Ojha a half-century as Delhi Daredevils crushed Deccan Chargers by nine wickets here Thursday to reclaim the top spot in the Indian Premier League.
It was raining sixes and fours at the Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium as Warner and Ojha unleashed a scathing attack on the hapless Deccan Chargers’ bowlers to seal a win with 3.2 overs to spare.
The unbeaten 189-run partnership for the second wicket turned the match into a no-contest. Chasing a stiff target of 188, the visitors clinched the victory with 193 in 16.4 overs as Ojha hit Sudhindra for six when they required just one run.
Man of the Match Warner hit unbeaten 109 off just 54 balls and the sizzling knock included 10 fours and seven mighty sixes. Ojha played the supporting role with perfection and also displayed his aggression to score 64 off 46 deliveries. He smashed two fours and five hits over the fence.
For Chargers there was no escape from the misery as Warner and Ojha spared none of their bowlers, hitting them all around the wicket. Most of their sixes landed in the crowd, majority of them Chargers supporters but had no option but to cheer for the Daredevil hitters.
After setting a big total of 187, the hosts were hoping a change in their fortunes. They appear to have made a perfect start as Daredevils captain Virender Sehwag fell on the very second ball. However, it proved to be the first and last celebration for Chargers as Warner and Ojha looked in great hurry to finish the game early.
With this win, Daredevils have now moved to the top position with 18 points from 12 matches while Chargers continue to languish at the bottom with five points. For the hosts this was the 10th defeat, the highest by any team in the tournament.
Manpreet Gony was the lone saving grace for Chargers as he bowled with a good line and length, conceding only 22 runs in four hours. The rest of the bowlers received a drubbing.
Sehwag (4) fell cheaply to Dhawan while trying to hit the second successive four off the second ball of the innings. This early setback did not deter Warner from playing his natural game. He opened his account with a cut for four on the fifth ball and smashed second boundary through covers off the next delivery to make his intention clear.
The Australian hit his first six in the innings’ fourth over bowled by TP. Sudhindra. This was the beginning of a series of delightful strike by the left-hander as he smashed Ashish Reddy for 20 runs, including two fours and two hits over the fence.
Earlier, Shikhar Dhawan smashed an aggressive 84 and Cameron White 65 to take Deccan Chargers to 187 for four in 20 overs.
Putting behind the team’s failure at the same ground against Kings XI Punjab Tuesday, the pair added 126 runs off 70 balls for the two wickets after Chargers were struggling at 33 for two in 5.5 overs.
Dhawan, who made a cautious start, played an aggressive knock of 84 off just 49 balls and it included nine hits to the boundaries and five over the fence. White on the other side scored 65 (7×4, 2×6) off 40 deliveries.
Indo-Asian News Service
- Dhawan, White lift Chargers to a formidable total (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Pietersen stars in Daredevils's convincing win over Deccan Chargers (Lead) - Apr 19, 2012
- RCB's de Villiers tames Chargers for dramatic win (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Daredevils blown away by Gayle storm, hopes alive for Royal Challengers (Lead) - May 18, 2012
- Hussey, Gurkeerat keep Kings XI in playoff hunt (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Scoreboard: Deccan Chargers vs Delhi Daredevils, IPL - May 10, 2012
- Rajasthan Royals beat Daredevils to maintain IPL winning run (Lead) - Apr 12, 2011
- Daredevils go down to Deccan Chargers for second home defeat (Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- Rohit stars for Mumbai Indians in a last-ball finish (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- No score safe in IPL-V - May 10, 2012
- Delhi Daredevils taste first win in IPL-4 (Lead) - Apr 17, 2011
- Sensational Valthaty powers Kings XI to another comfortable win (Lead) - Apr 17, 2011
- Daredevils stop Kings XI Punjab's three-match winning streak (Lead) - Apr 24, 2011
- Royal Challengers knoked out, Chennai in play-offs (Second Lead) - May 20, 2012
- Kings XI outplay Deccan Chargers (Lead) - May 09, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,