Dam row: Chandy in Delhi Thursday, likely to meet PMDecember 1st, 2011 - 1:10 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 30 (IANS) With the political battle intensifying between Kerala and Tamil Nadu on the Mullaperiyar dam issue, Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy is to come here Thursday to meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
After a cabinet meeting, Chandy claimed in Thiruvananthapuram that the prime minister was “already convinced” of his state’s demand for a new dam in place of the 116-year-old structure.
He said he would once again take up the issue with the prime minister and added that he would write to Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa, explaining Kerala’s position on the Mullaperiyar issue.
The dam in Kerala’s Idukki district supplies water to Tamil Nadu.
The MPs from Tamil and Kerala Tuesday sought Manmohan Singh’s intervention to resolve the complex issue.
Manmohan Singh is understood to have assured that a meeting of chief ministers of Tamil Nadu and Kerala would be arranged soon to discuss the contentious issue.
Tamil Nadu wants the dam’s storage capacity to be increased by raising the dam height - from 136 feet (41.5 m) to 142 feet (43 m) to meet growing irrigation needs in the state.
Kerala, on the other hand, wants a new dam as it fears that a strong earthquake might damage the existing dam.
- Mullaperiyar Dam: Chandy, AIADMK MPs meet PM - Dec 02, 2011
- PM calls for restraint on Mullaperiyar Dam issue - Dec 14, 2011
- Chandy slams Jayalalithaa's varying stands on public safety - Nov 30, 2011
- Kerala, Tamil Nadu officials to discuss Mullaperiyar dam - Dec 05, 2011
- Talks likely with Tamil Nadu on Mullaperiyar: Chandy - Dec 03, 2011
- Opposition will raise funds to build new dam: Achuthanandan - Nov 30, 2011
- Will lead all party delegation to PM on Mullaperiyar: Chandy - Dec 07, 2011
- Kerala presses for new dam with demonstrations, shutdown - Nov 29, 2011
- Mullaperiyar dam talks shift to Delhi - Dec 01, 2011
- New Mullaperiyar Dam will be a reality: Chandy - Jan 04, 2012
- PM yet to reply on demand for CISF at Mullaperiyar: Jayalalithaa - Dec 05, 2011
- Mullaperiyar Dam: Chandy briefs Tamil Nadu media - Jan 07, 2012
- Kerala assembly restates stand on Mullaperiyar Dam - Dec 09, 2011
- Chandy demands new dam in place of Mullaperiyar - Dec 21, 2011
- Kerala seeks new dam, protests erupt against Tamil Nadu - Nov 28, 2011
Tags: cabinet meeting, chief minister, chief ministers, contentious issue, earthquake, irrigation, j jayalalithaa, kerala, manmohan, manmohan singh, mps, mullaperiyar dam, new dam, New Delhi, oommen chandy, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, storage capacity, thiruvananthapuram