‘DAM 999′, its three songs in Oscar race (Lead)December 20th, 2011 - 6:58 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, Dec 20 (IANS) “DAM 999″, a movie that has been in the news for being banned in Tamil Nadu, has been shortlisted among the 265 films contending for the Best Picture nomination at the Oscars. This apart, its three songs are among the 39 shortlisted for nominations in the Original Song category for the 84th Academy Awards.
The three songs from the film that are vying to be in the final nomination list include “Dakkanaga Dugu Dugu”, “DAM999 Theme Song” and “Mujhe Chhod Ke”.
The film’s director, Sohan Roy, a marine engineer by profession, is upbeat about the news.
“This is a crowning achievement for ‘DAM 999′ and my dream project has attained the true recognition it deserves,” Roy said in a press statement.
The movie, a $10 million production, tells the tale of a cracking dam built during colonial rule and revolves around nine characters and their emotions. The lives of all the nine characters revolve around the central edifice - the pressure-mounted dam.
“DAM 999″ was released in the last week of November across the country barring Tamil Nadu, which banned the film, as the dispute between Tamil Nadu and Kerala reached a crescendo over the Mullaperiyar Dam, which is 115 years old and has started to leak.
The movie had a week-long Oscar qualifying screening at Los Angeles from Oct 28.
The final 84th Academy Awards nominations will be announced on January 24, 2012, in the Academy’s Samuel Goldwyn Theater.
- 'DAM 999' maker awaits Oscar nomination with bated breath - Jan 23, 2012
- Now 'DAM 999' in Original Score Oscar race - Dec 24, 2011
- Indian film 'DAM 999' fails in Oscar journey - Jan 24, 2012
- 'Adaminte Makan Abu' out of Oscar race - Jan 19, 2012
- 'DAM 999' director unfazed about missing Oscar nomination - Jan 24, 2012
- Rahman hopes 'DAM 999' brings back Oscar - Dec 21, 2011
- 'DAM 999' songs in Oscar race - Dec 20, 2011
- IMDb rates 'DAM999' among top films - Dec 06, 2011
- 'DAM999' bags two honorary GMA awards - Apr 11, 2012
- 'DAM 999' director seeks police protection - Dec 10, 2011
- Controversy helped 'DAM 999': Director - Nov 25, 2011
- Don't allow release of 'Dam 999', demands Karunanidhi - Nov 24, 2011
- Tamil Nadu bans screening of 'Dam 999' - Nov 24, 2011
- Water for Tamil Nadu, safety for Kerala: Chandy on Mullaperiyar - Nov 23, 2011
- 'Dam 999' director moves Supreme Court against ban - Nov 30, 2011
Tags: academy awards, academy awards nominations, best picture, colonial rule, crescendo, dam dam, dream project, dugu dugu, edifice, kerala, marine engineer, mullaperiyar dam, original song, oscar race, oscars, samuel goldwyn theater, sohan, song category, three songs, true recognition