Dalmiya condemns attack on Sri Lankan cricketersMarch 4th, 2009 - 1:27 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, March 3 (IANS) Former International Cricket Council (ICC) president Jagmohan Dalmiya Tuesday night condemned the terrorist attack on the Sri Lankan players in Pakistan and hoped the authorities in the sub-continent would take measures so that the sport was not affected.
“This is an act of cowardice of the highest degree. It’s a matter of concern and I strongly condemn it,” Dalmiya said and hoped the injured players recovered fast to get back into action.
Asked whether the incident that left seven Sri Lankan players injured will have a bearing on the 2011 World Cup to be hosted by the four cricket playing nations in the sub-continent, He said: “It may affect the World Cup; nobody knows about it. However, there’s still a lot of time for the event.”
Recalling that India-Pakistan cricketing ties had resumed after a 14-eyar hiatus during his stint as BCCI (Board of Control for Cricket in India) president, Dalmiya said: “We had to go by the security agencies’ report and drop a few venues at that time. I am sure measures will surely be taken so that the sport is not hit in the long run.”
Meanwhile, former India captain and the Kolkata Knight Riders skipper Sourav Ganguly termed it as as a ’sad day’ for cricket.
The Kolkata Knight Riders are resigned to not getting the services of Sri Lankan mystery spinner Ajantha Mendis who got a bullet injury in his leg during the attack.
- Sachin to be presented 100 guineas, golden bat by Mamata - May 11, 2012
- None can replicate my carrom ball: Mendis (Interview) - Oct 07, 2009
- Sri Lanka have a side to win the World Cup (Team Profile, World Cup Countdown) - Feb 06, 2011
- Focusing on bowling in the right areas: Narine - May 10, 2012
- Pakistan to have task force for players' safety - Nov 23, 2011
- CAB appoints Whatmore as coaching director - Aug 17, 2010
- Variation most important for twenty20 bowlers: Akram - Jan 11, 2010
- Sri Lanka all excited ahead of the big game - Mar 25, 2011
- Recovering well, Eoin Morgan tweets - Feb 15, 2011
- Vengsarkar, Shiny Wilson presented lifetime achievement awards - Apr 27, 2012
- Ganguly picks India World T20 favourites, Windies dark horses - Aug 28, 2012
- History beckons India, Sri Lanka at Wankhede (Preview) - Apr 01, 2011
- No word of praise enough for Tendulkar: Dalmiya - Mar 16, 2012
- World Cup has been a good tournament for mavericks: Roebuck - Mar 31, 2011
- Mamata, CAB felicitate golden boy Sachin (Lead) - May 12, 2012