Dallas Mayor attends Diwali DinnerNovember 19th, 2008 - 2:35 pm ICT by IANS
Houston (US), Nov 19 (IANS) Acknowledging the increasing clout of the Indian American community, Dallas Mayor Tom Leppert attended the Diwali Dinner organised by the Indian American Friendship Council (IAFC).After New York-New Jersey, California and Chicago, the Houston-Dallas area has one of the largest concentrations of Indian Americans in the US.
Acclaiming the contribution of the Indian Americans, Leppert said in his address Monday that the community continues to be an important factor in the well being and progress of Dallas.
“Your contribution in education, banking, medicine, IT and engineering can’t be ignored, while your entrepreneurship continues to create new jobs. Your investments in real estate have kept Dallas faring far better than the other US cities, even in these market conditions,” an IAFC statement quoted Leppert as saying.
“On the political scene, I hear more and more Indians are contesting for public offices. You have realised that to make your mark and for your voice to be heard, this area can’t be ignored. I invite you to come forward in Dallas area for such contribution and make Dallas the best, vibrant, most desirable and safest city to live,” he said.
Leppert said that next year he would like to take a Dallas trade delegation to India.
On behalf of the community, IAFC general secretary Prasad Thotakura pledged a donation of 1,000 books to needy children of Dallas for a project headed by Laura Leppert, the mayor’s wife.
Laura Leppert thanked the IAFC leadership for supporting her initiatives such as the Children Book Fair and diabetes awareness project. She thanked IAFC for pledging 1,000 books.
- Michael Vick Confronted by Dog Owner in Dallas Ceremony - Feb 09, 2011
- Death of Indian engineer in US being probed - Apr 25, 2012
- Bollywood singer Shreya Ghoshal to enliven AAPI US tour - Aug 05, 2012
- Michael Vick has a confrontation with dog owners in Dallas - Feb 09, 2011
- Galaxy of stars pay tearful tribute to Houston - Feb 19, 2012
- Five Indian techies die in car accident in US - Aug 11, 2012
- Five Indian techies from Hyderabad die in US car crash (Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- DLF's K.P. Singh gets entrepreneurship award (Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- Indian, Vietnamese immigrants 'Americanised' but don't lose own identity - Dec 07, 2011
- Experts welcome SIDBI fund for service sector startups - May 21, 2012
- Andhra techie's murderers held in US - Jun 20, 2010
- Indian Americans celebrate US Independence Day - Jul 09, 2012
- South Asians in US celebrate American I-Day with fireworks - Jul 10, 2012
- Bobby Jindal's support base grows - Sep 02, 2011
- 12 hurt as US flight hits turbulence - Apr 05, 2012