Dalits allege denial of water by upper castesFebruary 13th, 2012 - 6:48 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Feb 13 (IANS) Dalits of a Jharkhand village allege that they have been denied water from handpumps and entry into a community hall by upper castes in Chatra district.
People from Dalit community in Aamdiha village of Chatra district, which is around 160 km from Ranchi, allege they have not been allowed to fetch water from handpumps or entry into a community building of the village.
What is curious is that the handpumps and the community hall belong to the state government.
“We are not allowed by upper caste men to fetch water from the handpumps. The community building has also been locked and we are not allowed to enter in the building,” said Champu Ram to a local news channel.
Echoing his view, another villager, Suresh Ram said: “For a long time we have been discriminated against by the upper caste men. We have submitted a memorandum to the district officials requesting suitable measures so that we can fetch water and enter the community building.”
The Chatra district officials have assured they will look into the matter.
“We will look into the issue and suitable action will be taken based on the facts,” an official told IANS over telephone.
- Rights panel issues notice to Tamil Nadu - Aug 22, 2012
- BSP's Satish Misra charged with poll code violation - Feb 10, 2012
- Two arrested with 29 sacks of opium - May 21, 2011
- Dalit families migrate from Gujarat village - Feb 21, 2010
- Large tracts of Jharkhand flooded after rains - Aug 12, 2011
- Maoists blow up school in Jharkhand - Jun 07, 2011
- IFS woman's inter-caste marriage puts family under threat - Nov 02, 2011
- Socially backward classes communities face caste discrimination in Karnataka - Jan 29, 2011
- Boycotted Dalit woman commits suicide in Orissa - Nov 20, 2010
- Taj city hosts biggest Dalit power show - Apr 14, 2011
- Caste prejudices hit Bihar's anganwadi centres: Report - May 03, 2012
- Eight killed as Maoists attack MP's convoy in Jharkhand - Dec 04, 2011
- Seven electrocuted to death in Jharkhand - Apr 13, 2012
- Mirchpur violence: Dalits leave village fearing Jat threat - Jan 27, 2011
- When it's about drinking water, Maoists help government - Mar 11, 2012