Dalit woman killed in Bihar for practising witchcraftMay 24th, 2012 - 3:58 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, May 24 (IANS) A 58-year-old Dalit woman was Thursday killed by her neighbour in Bihar’s Gaya district, around 100 km from state capital Patna, for allegedly practicing witchcraft, police said.
According to police, Lashki Devi was brutally beaten before being strangled to death by her neighbour Kapil Bhuiyan in Jumladih hamlet of Chotki Kewla village in Dumaria area of Gaya.
Villagers said that Bhuiyan accused the woman of practising witchcraft and beat her up in full view of public. “After she fell unconscious, the accused dragged her to a nearby forest where he strangled her to death,” police said.
Bhuiyan was arrested after a first information report (FIR) was filed by the woman’s husband, police added.
The practice of branding women as witches and torturing them continues unabated in remote rural areas of Bihar. A month ago, a woman in Sitamarhi district of the state was forced by some people to eat human excreta after being branded a witch.
Last year, the Bihar Human Rights Commission (BHRC) directed the state government to expedite probe and trials of cases related to offences under the Prevention of Witch Hunting Act, 1999.
- Woman forced to eat human excreta on witchcraft charge - Apr 28, 2012
- Bihar woman lynched for practicing 'witchcraft' - Aug 01, 2012
- Two killed in Bihar for practicing witchcraft - Jul 06, 2012
- Man stabs his sister on suspicion of witchcraft - Oct 01, 2011
- Rajasthan woman branded as 'witch', tortured - Aug 06, 2011
- Rajasthan widow alleges torture - Aug 24, 2011
- Single women victims of witch-hunt in tribal Assam - Nov 02, 2011
- Three troopers arrested in Bihar - May 27, 2012
- Woman branded witch, tortured in Rajasthan - Apr 13, 2012
- Assam sexagenarian vows to save witch-hunt victims - May 19, 2012
- Woman branded as a witch, tortured - Oct 12, 2011
- One killed, four injured in Bihar as SSB opens fire - May 26, 2012
- Another woman tortured as a witch in Rajasthan - Jul 29, 2011
- Maoists kill CRPF man, injure six in Bihar - Jun 10, 2012
- Tribal woman branded a witch, beaten up in Rajasthan - Jul 08, 2012
Tags: act 1999, bhrc, bhuiyan, bihar, fir, gaya district, hamlet, human excreta, human rights commission, information report, may 24, nearby forest, neighbour, practicing witchcraft, prevention, rural areas, state government, witch hunting, witches