Dalit woman denied water in Orissa villageMarch 26th, 2008 - 6:34 pm ICT by admin
Jagatsinghpur, March 26 (IANS) Upper caste residents allegedly denied a woman from drawing water from a tube well in a village in Orissa’s Jagatsinghpur district because she was a Dalit, the police said Wednesday. Lochan Sethi, 25, a resident of Iribisa village some 120 km from state capital Bhubaneswar, told the police that she was denied from taking water and was assaulted by the village upper caste people when she tried to draw water from the village tube well.
About 10 Dalit families are dependent on one tube-well located in the Harijan Sahi of the village. But since last month, it is not functional, police station in charge B.C. Barik told IANS.
While most of the families were compelled to take polluted water from a nearby pond, Lochan went Tuesday evening to the area where the upper caste villagers live and took water from a tube well located in the area, the police inspector said.
“The upper caste people allegedly assaulted her and took away the bucket filled with water,” he said.
“The persons who prevented her from taking water and attacked her will be arrested soon,” he said. “We are raiding the village to nab them,” he added.
- Ludhiana teacher donates tubewell for Maharashtra's tribals (Environment Feature) (With Images) - Jun 27, 2012
- Hunt on for child snatching Indian 'tantrik' - Feb 24, 2011
- Boycotted Dalit woman commits suicide in Orissa - Nov 20, 2010
- Dalits allege denial of water by upper castes - Feb 13, 2012
- Dalit groom seeks police protection to ride mare - Feb 11, 2012
- Rights panel issues notice to Tamil Nadu - Aug 22, 2012
- Maharashtra orders probe into attack on Dalit woman - Jan 12, 2012
- Nepal hails shortest man, shuns tallest woman - Nov 27, 2010
- Caste council in Rajasthan ostracises 40 Dalit families - Jun 30, 2012
- Dalits in Uttar Pradesh allege discrimination over water - Aug 31, 2009
- RJD to protest attacks on backward castes - Sep 10, 2011
- Mirchpur violence: Dalits leave village fearing Jat threat - Jan 27, 2011
- Abducted woman untraced, husband still in hospital - Jul 29, 2012
- Where is the nearest Dalit village? (Part-II) - Nov 18, 2010
- Caste row results in boycott of village council chief in Uttarakhand - Aug 22, 2010