Dalit woman commits suicide to evade rape attemptJuly 5th, 2008 - 9:10 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, July 5 (IANS) A Dalit woman committed suicide Saturday by setting herself on fire in Uttar Pradesh’s Faizabad district to evade a rape attempt by her neighbour, police said. Family members alleged that she took the extreme step to evade a rape attempt by a neighbour in Faizabad, about 150 km from here.
“The woman, in her dying statement to the magistrate, seconded the allegations made by her husband Rajaram, but died before naming the person,” Faizabad police chief R.K.S. Rathore told IANS.
The woman stated that she was alone in the house when a youth scaled the wall and tried to grab her, said Rathore.
“She rushed towards the kitchen and set herself on fire,” he added.
The police have detained a youth of the same locality for questioning, an official said.
- Rape victim succumbs to burn injuries - Apr 18, 2012
- India's shame: More violence against women - Feb 08, 2011
- Two more rapes, an attempted rape in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 22, 2011
- Minor girl dies of burns, kin allege rape, murder - Jun 25, 2011
- Teenager immolates self after rape attempt by youth - Feb 23, 2011
- Teenaged rape victim dies after immolating herself - Feb 07, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh's fifth rape case in a day (Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
- Woman attempts self-immolation in Meerut - Aug 03, 2012
- Woman sets herself afire at petrol pump - Nov 23, 2011
- Chinese youth rapes, robs, kills 91-year-old - Feb 10, 2012
- Woman sets herself ablaze over dowry harassment - Jun 25, 2011
- Girl set afire for resisting rape - Nov 05, 2011
- Girija Vyas pulls up Mayawati Govt. over rising rape cases in UP - Feb 07, 2011
- Two Dalit girls gangraped near Delhi - Sep 29, 2010
- Girls unsafe in Uttar Pradesh, say women's panel, activists (Lead) - Feb 07, 2011