Dalit man killed after being forced to drink acidJuly 26th, 2008 - 4:50 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, July 26 (IANS) A poor landless Dalit man died after he was forced to drink acid for his refusal to work in the field of a powerful upper caste land owner in a Bihar village, police officials said Saturday. Devanand Manjhi, 32, a resident of Adlipur Neura Mushhari Tola, about 30 km from here and in Patna district, was killed when he refused to work in the field of Naresh Singh and Bablu Singh of neighbouring Kasadhi village.
Devanand was first forced to drink acid by Singh and their henchmen. Then acid was poured on his bare body and later he was mercilessly beaten by them for refusing to work, said Ramashish Manjhi, the victim’s brother.
Ramashish said that early Friday morning Naresh and Bablu Singh visited his house to ask Devanand to work in their field.
“When I informed them that my brother was already working in the field of someone else, they got angry and asked how he dared to work in the field of another person. They abused and threatened to punish him for it,” said Ramashish.
A few hourss later Friday, he was told by villagers that Devanand was killed and his body was lying in the field.
“When I reached the spot, some villagers, who were witness to his killing, informed me that Devanand was killed by Singh who forced him to drink acid as punishment,” he said.
Angry villagers, mostly Dalits, protested the killing of Devanand and demanded compensation for his family.
Devanand, who belonged to the Mushahar community, one of the poorest among Dalits, has two children.
Dhruv Kumar Singh, the officer in-charge of Bihta police station, said that a case was registered against the accused and raids were being conducted to nab them.
Dalits constitute nearly 15 percent of Bihar’s population of over 83 million.
- Dalit killed for plucking two brinjals in Bihar village - Nov 10, 2010
- Two killed in Bihar for practicing witchcraft - Jul 06, 2012
- Maoists abduct official, three workers - Apr 06, 2012
- Dalit man shot dead for sitting on chair - Dec 03, 2009
- Bihar to involve youths to fight kala azar - Apr 10, 2012
- Bhojpuri songs to spread awareness about kala azar - May 09, 2012
- Dalit lover lynched in Rajasthan - Oct 10, 2011
- Driver set ablaze after minor's death - Aug 17, 2011
- Man hacks his brother to death, hangs himself - Oct 03, 2011
- Man attacks elderly parents over property, sets them ablaze - Jul 31, 2010
- Violence during Ranvir Sena chief's funeral (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Bihar woman lynched for practicing 'witchcraft' - Aug 01, 2012
- Villagers block road over Bihar family's suicide - Aug 23, 2011
- Bihar to move apex court against massacre case acquittal - Apr 18, 2012
- Three children, woman burnt to death in Bihar - Feb 11, 2011