Dalit kills self after failing to repay loanSeptember 14th, 2008 - 5:13 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Sep 14 (IANS) Twelve days after a Dalit man committed suicide following relentless pressure to repay a loan taken from a moneylender for his daughter’s marriage, a case was registered against four people in Uttar Pradesh’s Lakhimpur Kheri district, the police said Sunday.Balram, a resident of Mitauli village, had taken a loan from the moneylender six months ago for the marriage of his daughter. He committed suicide by hanging himself Sep 2 when the accused started pressing him to return the money.
“According to the villagers and family members, Balram was a poor farmer and fell ill after the marriage. He became bedridden and the accused, Haider Ali, a money lender, and three of his accomplices, started building pressure on him to return the money,” said inspector R.B. Singh posted at Mitauli police station.
Ali assaulted Balram and his family members a few days ago.
“My husband pleaded with Ali for some more time to repay the money but he remained adamant and insulted Balram often, forcing him to commit suicide,” Balram’s wife Sarojini told the police in her written complaint.
The family ran from pillar to post to get a complaint registered against Ali and his accomplices.
The case was registered after the local media highlighted the case and sub divisional magistrate Mohammadi took stock of the allegations, police sources said.
“We initiated an inquiry and a case was lodged. The accused are at large and we will arrest them soon,” Superintendent of Police, Lakhimpur, Ramakant Prasad, told IANS on phone.
- Dowry system fuelling farmers' suicides in Vidarbha - May 20, 2012
- Mayawati orders probe into girl's death at police station - Jun 13, 2011
- Mayawati suspends police officer in girl's murder (Third Lead) - Jun 15, 2011
- Youth's hands chopped off, Nitish orders probe (Lead) - Mar 02, 2012
- Murdered girl's mother wants CBI probe, Mayawati says 'no' (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2011
- Girl found dead in police station was not murdered: Police - Jun 12, 2011
- Mayawati orders probe into girl's death at police station (Lead) - Jun 13, 2011
- BSP flays Rahul's 'double standards' - Jun 30, 2011
- BJP demands third autopsy of murdered UP girl - Jun 14, 2011
- Three brothers sentenced to life for murder - Mar 30, 2011
- Another cop held for girl's death in police station - Jul 03, 2011
- Labourer's hand chopped for not settling Rs.600 debt - Feb 08, 2010
- Kheri rape: Doctors charged with fudging autopsy - Jul 12, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh clash: 35 officials arrested - Sep 04, 2011
- Nine booked for a Noida family's deaths - Dec 28, 2011