Dalit boy thrown into Holi bonfire for lighting it before timeMarch 12th, 2009 - 1:34 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, March 12 (IANS) A 12-year-old Dalit boy was beaten up and thrown into a Holi bonfire by some youths in Uttar Pradesh’s Ambedkarnagar district after he lit it before time, the police said Thursday.
Rajesh,12, who received burn injuries, is being treated at the government hospital in Ambedkarnagar, some 200 km from Lucknow, police added.
“The incident took place on the eve of Holi in the Sagiya Narayanpur village in Ambedkarnagar. In a fit of rage, some youths of the village beat up Rajesh and later pushed him into the Holi bonfire for lighting it before time,” police inspector Azam Ali Khan told IANS on phone.
Following the incident, Dalits in the village are up in arms and demanding action against the culprits.
Khan said the police had registered a case against a resident, Sanjay, who, according to eyewitnesses, was mainly responsible for the crime.
However, Sanjay is yet to be arrested as he fled after the incident took place.
- Four policemen injured in mob attack - Apr 12, 2011
- Businessman's murder sparks clashes in uttar Pradesh - Jul 19, 2011
- Mayawati statue vandalised in Lucknow, BSP stages protests (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Three Ambedkar statues vandalised in UP - Jul 28, 2012
- Dalit groom seeks police protection to ride mare - Feb 11, 2012
- Nine rapes in last two days in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 21, 2011
- Mirchpur violence: Dalits leave village fearing Jat threat - Jan 27, 2011
- Auto driver beaten to death in road rage - Mar 23, 2012
- Maharashtra orders probe into attack on Dalit woman - Jan 12, 2012
- Man beaten up for protesting against daughter's harassment, dies - Feb 12, 2012
- Dikshit expresses shock over auto driver's murder (Third Lead) - Mar 23, 2012
- BJP to create 50 lakh jobs in Uttar Pradesh: Gadkari - Nov 17, 2011
- Four injured as villagers clash with police - Feb 20, 2012
- Samajwadi Party's Akhilesh sets out on yatra across Uttar Pradesh - Sep 12, 2011
- Tension in Haryana village over death of Dalit youth - Oct 07, 2010