Dalai Lama’s envoys re-appointedJune 14th, 2011 - 3:12 pm ICT by IANS
Dharamsala, June 14 (IANS) The Tibetan government-in-exile here Tuesday re-appointed the Dalai Lama’s envoys to China and other countries, the first time it exercised this constitutional authority after the Tibetan spiritual leader relinquished his political powers.
A spokesperson for the Tibetan administration told IANS that the Kashag (cabinet) has announced the re-appointment of the incumbent special envoy, envoys and representatives of the Dalai Lama as their terms had ended with the ratification of the amendment to the charter by him May 29.
As per the announcement, special envoy Kasur Lodi Gyari and envoy Kelsang Gyaltsen will remain the Dalai Lama’s representatives for the ongoing talks with China on granting autonomy to Tibet.
The two sides have held nine rounds of talks since 2002 to resolve the issue, but no major breakthrough has been achieved so far.
Likewise, Tempa Tsering, Kasur Lobsang Nyandak Zayul and Sonam Norbu Dagpo will remain representatives of the Dalai Lama in New Delhi, the US and Australia respectively.
In a historic deviation from the 350-year-old Tibetan tradition, the Dalai Lama last month devolved his “formal authority” to the elected leadership of the Tibetan exiles.
The Dalai Lama, along with many of his supporters, fled Tibet and took refuge in India when Chinese troops moved in and took control of Lhasa in 1959.
He then headed a Tibetan government-in-exile which never won recognition from any country.
India is home to around 100,000 Tibetans.
- 'Only dialogue can resolve Tibet issue' - Nov 14, 2011
- Dalai Lama's envoys resign - Jun 03, 2012
- Tibetan meet aims to break deadlock with China - Oct 07, 2011
- Dalai Lama's 77th birthday celebrated in Dharamsala (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Dalai Lama formally relinquishes political powers - May 30, 2011
- Efforts on to restart talks with China: Tibetan PM-in-exile - Oct 12, 2011
- Dalai Lama's representatives to arrive in China for fresh talks - Jan 26, 2010
- Dalai Lama's envoys to hold talks with Chinese leaders - Jan 25, 2010
- Parliament-in-exile concerned over atrocities in Tibet - Sep 16, 2011
- No concessions on China's sovereignity, Dalai Lama envoys told - Feb 01, 2010
- Dalai Lama's envoys return after talks with Chinese - Feb 01, 2010
- Tibetan parliament-in-exile proposes charter amendments (Lead) - May 28, 2011
- Dalai Lama heads to Delhi for medical examination - Jan 19, 2012
- Denmark welcomes resumption of talks on Tibet - Jan 27, 2010
- Dalai Lama in Delhi for eye check-up (Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
Tags: appointment, autonomy, breakthrough, charter, chinese troops, constitutional authority, country india, dalai lama, june 14, lhasa, New Delhi, ratification, sonam norbu, spokesperson, tibet, tibetan administration, tibetan exiles, tibetan government in exile, tibetan spiritual leader, tibetan tradition