Dalai Lama’s envoys leave for talks with ChinaOctober 30th, 2008 - 3:48 pm ICT by IANS
Dharamsala, Oct 30 (IANS) Two envoys of Buddhist spiritual leader the Dalai Lama Thursday left for Beijing for the eighth round of negotiations with Chinese officials since talks began in 2002. Besides Kasur Lodi Gyaltsen Gyari and Kelsang Gyaltsen, the delegation includes three senior assistants, said a statement of the Tibetan government-in-exile that is based in this Himalayan town.
“The envoys will be in Beijing for about a week as a follow-up to the seventh round of talks held in July this year,” it said.
The last formal talks between the envoys and the Chinese leadership, the seventh since 2002, were not fruitful as officials there were preoccupied with the Olympics.
The Dalai Lama, who along with his supporters fled Tibet and took refuge in India in 1959, has been following a “middle path” policy that demands “greater autonomy” for Tibetans, rather than complete independence.
But over the weekend, the Nobel laureate said at a function in this north Indian hill station that he had “lost hope of reaching an agreement with the present Chinese leadership over allowing more autonomy for the Buddhist region in Tibet as there is no response from across the border regarding the next round of negotiations”.
The Tibetan government-in-exile has also called a special six-day session of exiles at McLeodganj near here from Nov 17 to discuss the future of the Tibetan movement.
Gyari, who participated in the last round of talks in China, had said after returning to India that “in the course of our discussion (seventh round), we were compelled to candidly convey to our counterparts that in the absence of serious and sincere commitment on their part, the continuation of the present dialogue process would serve no purpose”.
- Dalai Lama's envoys re-appointed - Jun 14, 2011
- 'Only dialogue can resolve Tibet issue' - Nov 14, 2011
- Tibetan meet aims to break deadlock with China - Oct 07, 2011
- Dalai Lama's 77th birthday celebrated in Dharamsala (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Efforts on to restart talks with China: Tibetan PM-in-exile - Oct 12, 2011
- Dalai Lama's envoys resign - Jun 03, 2012
- Dalai Lama's envoys return after talks with Chinese - Feb 01, 2010
- Dalai Lama's envoys to hold talks with Chinese leaders - Jan 25, 2010
- Denmark welcomes resumption of talks on Tibet - Jan 27, 2010
- Dalai Lama's representatives to arrive in China for fresh talks - Jan 26, 2010
- No concessions on China's sovereignity, Dalai Lama envoys told - Feb 01, 2010
- US special coordinator calls on Dalai Lama - Oct 19, 2010
- Refrain from self-immolation, Tibetian government-in-exile appeals - Sep 02, 2012
- Resume talks, Tibetan exiles urge China - Apr 30, 2012
- Don't meet Dalai Lama, China warns US - Feb 02, 2010