Dalai Lama’s envoys leave for ChinaMay 2nd, 2008 - 6:04 pm ICT by admin
Dharamsala, May 2 (IANS) In response to an invitation for talks from the Chinese government, two envoys of Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama left India Friday for Beijing. “His holiness the Dalai Lama’s special envoy Lodi Gyaltsen Gyari and envoy Keland Gyaltsen will arrive in China on May 3 for informal talks with representatives of the Chinese leadership,” said spokesperson Chhime R. Chhoekyapa.
“During their brief visit, the envoys will take up the urgent issue of the current crisis in Tibetan areas. They will convey the Dalai Lama’s deep concern about the Chinese authorities’ handling of the situation and provide suggestions to bring peace to the region,” Chhoekyapa said.
“Since the Chinese leadership has indicated publicly and in briefings given to foreign governments its position on the continuation of talks, the envoys will raise the matter of moving forward on the process for a mutually satisfactory solution to the Tibetan issue,” he added.
This is the first official contact between the two sides.
Anti-China protests began in Tibet and neigbouring Chinese provinces March 10 this year. The crackdown by China has so far resulted in the deaths of at least 203 Tibetans, according to the Tibetan-government-in-exile here.
The Chinese government puts the figure much lower.
- 'Only dialogue can resolve Tibet issue' - Nov 14, 2011
- Dalai Lama's envoys re-appointed - Jun 14, 2011
- Dalai Lama's envoys to hold talks with Chinese leaders - Jan 25, 2010
- Tibetan meet aims to break deadlock with China - Oct 07, 2011
- Dalai Lama's 77th birthday celebrated in Dharamsala (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Dalai Lama's envoys resign - Jun 03, 2012
- Dalai Lama's envoys return after talks with Chinese - Feb 01, 2010
- Efforts on to restart talks with China: Tibetan PM-in-exile - Oct 12, 2011
- Dalai Lama's representatives to arrive in China for fresh talks - Jan 26, 2010
- No concessions on China's sovereignity, Dalai Lama envoys told - Feb 01, 2010
- Exiles ask BRICS to raise Tibet with Hu - Mar 28, 2012
- US special coordinator calls on Dalai Lama - Oct 19, 2010
- Refrain from self-immolation, Tibetian government-in-exile appeals - Sep 02, 2012
- Denmark welcomes resumption of talks on Tibet - Jan 27, 2010
- Resume talks, Tibetan exiles urge China - Apr 30, 2012