Dalai Lama’s 77th birthday celebrated in DharamsalaJuly 6th, 2012 - 1:54 pm ICT by IANS
Dharamsala, July 6 (IANS) Thousands of Tibetan exiles and foreigners Friday morning attended the 77th birthday celebrations of their spiritual leader the Dalai Lama here in Himachal Pradesh.
Large crowds began to assemble since morning at the Tsuglagkhang temple to join the birthday celebrations.
“Special prayer sessions were held for the long life of His Holiness,” Tashi, a Central Tibetan Administration (CTA) spokesperson, told IANS.
The Dalai Lama, revered by the Tibetans as a ‘living god’, attended the prayers held at the hilltop Tsuglagkhang temple, close to his official palace at McLeodganj.
The 17th Karmapa, Ogyen Trinley Dorje, who has been residing here for the last few years with his followers, also attended the function.
A group of Chinese settled in various countries greeted the Nobel laureate on the occasion.
In a brief address in his Tibetan dialect, the Nobel Peace Prize winner, known for his trademark maroon robes, thanked the government of India and the people for their hospitality to the exiled Tibetans.
He thanked the Tibetan for their heartfelt greetings.
The entire cabinet of the CTA and Prime Minister-in-exile Lobsang Sangay were present at the function.
Born July 6, 1935, at Taktser hamlet in northeastern Tibet, the Dalai Lama was recognised at the age of two as the reincarnation of the 13th Dalai Lama, Thubten Gyatso.
He fled Tibet after a failed uprising against the Chinese rule in 1959, basing his government-in-exile here that never won recognition from any country.
He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1989 for his non-violent campaign for democracy and freedom in his homeland. Since fleeing to India, he has spent his time in exile pushing for autonomy for Tibet.
India is home to around 100,000 Tibetans.
- Dalai Lama's 77th birthday celebrated in Dharamsala (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- On Dalai Lama's birthday, prayers for his long life - Jul 06, 2011
- Exiles celebrate Dalai Lama's birthday (Lead) - Jul 06, 2011
- Dalai Lama's 75th birthday celebrated in Dharamsala - Jul 06, 2010
- Dalai Lama to attend prayers for peace in Tibet - Oct 17, 2011
- Mahatma's grandson to attend Dalai Lama's birthday bash - Jul 04, 2011
- Prayers, hunger strikes mark Tibetan sacred festival - Feb 22, 2012
- Prayers, sapling plantations mark Dalai Lama's birthday - Jul 06, 2011
- Dalai Lama will live to be 113 - Jul 06, 2011
- China, not Dalai Lama, to be blamed for self-immolations: Sangay - Mar 10, 2012
- China, not Dalai Lama, cause for self-immolation: Sangay (Lead) - Mar 10, 2012
- Tibetan prime minister-elect receives wishes from US - Aug 07, 2011
- At 76, Dalai Lama remains hopeful on Tibet - Jul 05, 2011
- Fast, prayers mark Tibetan New Year festival (Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- Dalai Lama's 74th birthday celebrated in Dharamsala - Jul 06, 2009
Tags: 13th dalai lama, 17th karmapa, birthday celebrations, central tibetan administration, chinese rule, dalai lama, dorje, government of india, heartfelt greetings, living god, nobel laureate, nobel peace prize, nobel peace prize winner, northeastern tibet, peace prize winner, prayer sessions, special prayer, thubten, tibetan exiles, violent campaign