Dalai Lama wins Templeton PrizeMarch 30th, 2012 - 10:24 am ICT by IANS
Washington, March 30 (IANS) The Dalai Lama has won the Templeton Prize for exceptional contribution to “affirming life’s spiritual dimension by spreading his message of compassion worldwide”.
Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama, an exiled spiritual and temporal leader of six million Tibetan Buddhists, a philosopher-scientist, an author, and a Nobel Peace Prize winner, received the honour Thursday, the Christian Science Monitor reported.
“I think he has become the best known Buddhist in the world,” says John Berthrong, former academic dean at Boston University’s School of Theology.
The award honours a living person who has made exceptional contributions to affirming life’s spiritual dimension. The Prize is a monetary award of about $1.7 million.
The award has been given to other high-profile religious leaders in the past, such as Mother Teresa and the Rev. Billy Graham.
He was chosen to become the spiritual and temporal leader of the Tibetan people at age two. He was forced into exile at age 24 to try to avoid a conflict in Lhasa in China.
Since then, he has travelled the world, meeting political leaders, learning about other religions, absorbing everything he couldn’t learn in the closed society of Tibet, such as Einstein’s Theory of Relativity, the Templeton Foundation in its press release.
In its announcement of the award, which is worth about $1.7 million this year, the foundation noted how the Dalai Lama has focused on the connections between the investigative traditions of science and Buddhism “as a way to better understand and advance what both disciplines might offer the world”.
Last year, the Dalai Lama retired as the temporal head of Tibet, ending 400 years of religious monarchy. “I deliberately, voluntarily, happily, proudly end that,” he said on NBC’s “Today” show last July 18.
- Dalai Lama donates money to fight child malnutrition - May 15, 2012
- Prayers, sapling plantations mark Dalai Lama's birthday - Jul 06, 2011
- Dalai Lama to speak of happiness at Penguin Lecture - Dec 02, 2011
- Chinese training Tibetan women to poison Dalai Lama? (Lead) - May 13, 2012
- Mahatma's grandson to attend Dalai Lama's birthday bash - Jul 04, 2011
- Dalai Lama has thrown a gauntlet to Beijing (Comment) - Mar 13, 2011
- Reincarnation is my personal right: Dalai Lama - Sep 23, 2011
- On Dalai Lama's birthday, prayers for his long life - Jul 06, 2011
- Karmapa's cash links should be fully probed: Dalai Lama (Lead) - Jan 30, 2011
- Dalai Lama's 77th birthday celebrated in Dharamsala - Jul 06, 2012
- Will decide on successor when I am 90: Dalai Lama - Sep 24, 2011
- Dalai Lama will live to be 113 - Jul 06, 2011
- Have not forgotten Tibetan struggle: Dalai Lama - Dec 15, 2010
- Dalai Lama a symbol of peace: Dhumal - Sep 02, 2011
- 'Dalai Lama will remain religious, temporal head' - Dec 10, 2010
Tags: 14th dalai lama, academic dean, affirming life, award honours, boston university, christian science monitor, dalai lama, einstein s theory of relativity, monetary award, nobel peace prize, nobel peace prize winner, peace prize winner, school of theology, spiritual dimension, templeton foundation, templeton prize, temporal leader, tenzin gyatso, theory of relativity, tibetan buddhists