Dalai Lama will live to be 113July 6th, 2011 - 2:29 pm ICT by IANS
Dharamsala, July 6 (IANS) An oracle has predicted that the Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama will live to be 113, the Tibetan cabinet said on his 76th birthday Wednesday.
The prediction was made by Nechung, recognised as the state oracle by the Tibetan government-in-exile which is based here.
The oracle, however, underlined that the Dalai Lama’s age would depend on the deeds and conduct of the Tibetan people, a statement said.
“We would like to urge all Tibetans to engage in actions that will not breach the wishes of His Holiness and work hard in preserving our traditional values,” it said.
Born July 6, 1935 at Taktser hamlet in northeastern Tibet, the Dalai Lama was recognised at the age of two as the reincarnation of the 13th Dalai Lama Thubten Gyatso.
He fled Tibet after a failed uprising against Communist rule in 1959. His government-in-exile here never got recognition from any country.
He won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1989 for his non-violent campaign for democracy and freedom in his homeland.
India is home to around 100,000 Tibetans. Nechung the oracle left Tibet along with the Dalai Lama.
- Prayers, sapling plantations mark Dalai Lama's birthday - Jul 06, 2011
- Dalai Lama's 77th birthday celebrated in Dharamsala - Jul 06, 2012
- Mahatma's grandson to attend Dalai Lama's birthday bash - Jul 04, 2011
- Reincarnation is my personal right: Dalai Lama - Sep 23, 2011
- On Dalai Lama's birthday, prayers for his long life - Jul 06, 2011
- Will decide on successor when I am 90: Dalai Lama - Sep 24, 2011
- Dalai Lama's 77th birthday celebrated in Dharamsala (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Exiles celebrate Dalai Lama's birthday (Lead) - Jul 06, 2011
- Dalai Lama's message read in Tibetan parliament-in-exile - Mar 14, 2011
- At 76, Dalai Lama remains hopeful on Tibet - Jul 05, 2011
- Prayers in Delhi for Dalai Lama's birthday - Jul 06, 2010
- Prayers mark Dalai Lama's birthday in Karnataka - Jul 06, 2010
- Dalai Lama's 75th birthday celebrated in Dharamsala - Jul 06, 2010
- The Dalai Lama: A monk on the move - Aug 23, 2010
- Have gone through turbulence all my life: Dalai Lama - Dec 03, 2011
Tags: 13th dalai lama, communist rule, dalai lama, democracy, freedom, hamlet, holiness, India, nobel peace prize, northeastern tibet, oracle, reincarnation, state oracle, thubten, tibetan government in exile, tibetan spiritual leader, tibetans, traditional values, uprising, violent campaign