Dalai Lama to receive interfaith prizeMarch 25th, 2008 - 8:22 pm ICT by admin
New York, March 25 (IANS) The Dalai Lama, currently caught in a crossfire between China and protesters in Tibet, has been selected as the first recipient of the international Guru Nanak Interaith Prize of Hofstra University. The $50,000 prize, which recognises efforts at interfaith dialogue, will be presented to the spiritual leader in November in India.
The Dalai Lama has conveyed his acceptance through his US representative Tashi Wangdi. He also agreed to visit Hofstra, a private university in Long Island, New York, in the near future.
University president Stuart Rabinowitz Monday said Hofstra was pleased to bestow the inaugural prize on “a person as worthy and renowned as His Holiness the Dalai Lama”.
He added: “Awarding this prize allows us to recognise those who bring together people of all faiths, which now, more than ever, is important for the peace and prosperity of our world.”
The prize, to be awarded every alternate year, was established in 2006 through an endowment from the business family of Ishar Singh Bindra and named after the founder of the Sikh religion. Former Indian prime minister I.K. Gujral is a member of the honorary committee for the prize.
Said T.J. Bindra, son of Ishar Bindra and a Hofstra trustee: “Guru Nanak stood for brotherhood, peace and wonderful relations between communities, and I think His Holiness personifies that the best.”
- US varsity sets up chair in Sikh musicology - Jun 05, 2008
- Dalai Lama's 77th birthday celebrated in Dharamsala - Jul 06, 2012
- Dalai Lama honoured - Dec 02, 2011
- Mahatma's grandson to attend Dalai Lama's birthday bash - Jul 04, 2011
- Ishar new vice-chancellor of Jammu university - Jan 18, 2012
- Dalai Lama's 77th birthday celebrated in Dharamsala (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Dalai Lama gets Mahatma Gandhi peace prize - Jan 04, 2012
- Tibetans vote in large numbers to elect new PM (Lead) - Mar 20, 2011
- Who will lead the Tibetan cause after Dalai Lama? - Mar 19, 2011
- On Dalai Lama's birthday, prayers for his long life - Jul 06, 2011
- Dalai Lama to submit resignation as political leader to Tibetan Parliament - Mar 14, 2011
- Dalai Lama will live to be 113 - Jul 06, 2011
- Dalai Lama honoured with doctorate at Jamia - Nov 23, 2010
- Polling on to elect new Tibetan PM - Mar 20, 2011
- Dalai Lama cancels trip to South Africa due to visa delay - Oct 06, 2011