Dalai Lama to offer prayers in quake-hit JapanApril 28th, 2011 - 4:33 pm ICT by IANS
Dharamsala, April 28 (IANS) Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama is in Japan to offer prayers and provide solace to the survivors of the devastating earthquake there last month, an official said here Thursday.
“His Holiness will Friday preside over the customary prayer service on the 49th day of death of those killed in the devastating earthquake. He will also provide solace to those who survived the tragedy,” said a spokesperson for the Dalai Lama’s office.
An earthquake measuring 9 on the Richter scale and a subsequent tsunami March 11 left thousands dead or missing in Japan.
The Dalai Lama, 75, will later go to the US. He will be bestowed with the “Shine a Light on Human Rights” award by the Amnesty International in California May 4.
The spokesperson said the award for the Nobel laureate would be given in recognition of his lifelong commitment to social justice and human rights.
Some 140,000 Tibetans now live in exile, over 100,000 of them in different parts of India. Over six million Tibetans live in Tibet.
- Dalai Lama prays for safe return of Khandu - May 01, 2011
- Death of Osama bin Laden was sad, says Dalai Lama - May 05, 2011
- Buddhist monks in India pray for quake victims - Mar 13, 2011
- Dalai Lama offers prayers for tsunami victims - Mar 12, 2011
- Another foreign visit for Dalai Lama - but not to Tibet - Jan 27, 2012
- 'Dalai Lama deserves Bharat Ratna' - Jun 11, 2012
- Czech deputy PM concerned over Tibet situation - Mar 02, 2012
- The Dalai Lama: A monk on the move - Aug 23, 2010
- Dalai Lama mourns demise of Maathai - Sep 27, 2011
- Global torch relay to focus attention on Tibet - Sep 02, 2012
- Dalai Lama's 77th birthday celebrated in Dharamsala - Jul 06, 2012
- Japanese support Dalai Lama's policy on Tibet - Sep 23, 2011
- US envoy meets Dalai Lama, discusses dialogue with China (Lead) - Feb 24, 2011
- Sangay concerned over unrest in Tibet - Jun 02, 2012
- Find reincarnations of Mao, Deng: Dalai Lama - Oct 30, 2011
Tags: amnesty international, dalai lama, devastating earthquake, dharamsala, exile, holiness, human rights award, lifelong commitment, march 11, nobel laureate, prayer service, prayers, quake, richter scale, shine a light, social justice and human rights, solace, spokesperson, tibet, tibetan spiritual leader