Dalai Lama to meet Desmond TutuFebruary 9th, 2012 - 7:42 pm ICT by IANS
Dharamsala, Feb 9 (IANS) Two Nobel laureates and long-time friends — Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai lama and South African anti-apartheid icon archbishop Desmond Tutu - will come face to face in this north Indian hill station Saturday.
An official of the Dalai Lama’s office told IANS that a public ceremony welcoming Tutu will be held Friday morning.
In October, the globe-trotter monk had called off his South Africa trip as it was “inconvenient” for the government there to grant him a visa as it had close ties with China.
He was invited by Tutu on the latter’s 80th birthday.
The Nobel laureates then came face-to-face through a video link on the day of celebrations.
The Dalai Lama has lived in exile in India since he fled Tibet during a failed uprising in 1959. He favours “greater autonomy” for Tibetans rather than complete independence.
Chinese leaders have, however, called him a separatist who wants Tibet to secede from China.
- Dalai Lama is not a separatist, Archbishop Tutu tells China - Feb 10, 2012
- Dalai Lama to meet Tutu - from a distance - Oct 07, 2011
- Will South Africa grant visa to Dalai Lama? - Sep 18, 2011
- South Africa slammed for denying visa to Dalai Lama - Oct 04, 2011
- South Africa found it inconvenient to grant visa: Dalai Lama (Lead) - Oct 07, 2011
- Dalai Lama cancels trip to South Africa due to visa delay - Oct 06, 2011
- At 76, Dalai Lama remains hopeful on Tibet - Jul 05, 2011
- Stop rights violations in Tibet: South African MPs - Nov 11, 2011
- Dalai Lama gets Mahatma Gandhi peace prize - Jan 04, 2012
- Another foreign visit for Dalai Lama - but not to Tibet - Jan 27, 2012
- Will decide on successor when I am 90: Dalai Lama - Sep 24, 2011
- Media censorship in China wrong: Dalai Lama - Dec 13, 2011
- 'Dalai Lama deserves Bharat Ratna' - Jun 11, 2012
- India has the will to bring change: Desmond Tutu - Feb 09, 2012
- The Dalai Lama: A monk on the move - Aug 23, 2010
Tags: 80th birthday, apartheid, archbishop desmond tutu, autonomy, chinese leaders, close ties, dalai lama, desmond tutu, dharamsala, exile, friday morning, globe trotter, long time friends, nobel laureates, public ceremony, south africa trip, tibet, tibetan spiritual leader, tibetans, video link