Dalai Lama to inaugurate IGNOU’s Tibetan study centreAugust 30th, 2011 - 6:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 30 (IANS) The Dalai Lama will inaugurate the Centre for Tibetan Studies at the Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) and will be conferred an honorary degree next month, an official said Tuesday.
The event will take place Sep 5 at the varsity’s 24th convocation here.
“His Holiness the Dalai Lama would inaugurate the Tibetan centre and will be awarded the degree of doctor of letters (Honoris Causa),” a varsity official said.
The university, in collaboration with the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of India (CBCI), has instituted six new awards for its students pursuing masters in social work and will give away annual cash awards of Rs.5,000 each.
“Around 1.04 lakh students from across the country will receive their degrees on the occasion,” said the official.
According to IGNOU, an exhibition will also be organised on the occasion where career counselling will be provided to the students.
- IGNOU to honour Dalai Lama - Aug 25, 2011
- Jamia to confer Doctor of Letters degree to Dalai Lama - Nov 22, 2010
- What happened to PM's honorary degree? - Jul 28, 2011
- PM confers honorary doctorate on Azim Premji - Aug 18, 2012
- Dalai Lama conferred doctorate by Jamia - Nov 23, 2010
- Over 200,000 students to receive IGNOU degrees - Mar 24, 2011
- Jamia to confer honorary degree to UN chief - Apr 25, 2012
- Lucknow University to confer degree on eminent nuclear scientist - Dec 31, 2009
- PM's 'missing' degree: varsity suspends one, orders probe - Jul 30, 2011
- Dalai Lama honoured with doctorate at Jamia - Nov 23, 2010
- AMU to confer doctorate on Manmohan, Sonia - Dec 22, 2009
- PAU to confer honorary degree on Tajikistan president - Aug 27, 2012
- Tripura varsity confers honorary doctorate on Hasina - Jan 12, 2012
- Dalai Lama to address Mumbai University students - Feb 17, 2011
- Protect, improve traditional knowledge of northeast India: Patil - Sep 25, 2010
Tags: career counselling, cash awards, catholic bishops conference, catholic bishops conference of india, cbci, collaboration, convocation, dalai lama, exhibition, holiness, honorary degree, ignou, indira gandhi, indira gandhi national open university, masters in social work, national open university, New Delhi, tibetan centre, tibetan studies, varsity