Dalai Lama to address Hungarian parliamentSeptember 18th, 2010 - 6:33 pm ICT by IANS
Dharamsala, Sep 18 (IANS) Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama has reached Hungary after a gap of 10 years where he will deliver lectures on the Buddha’s teachings and address parliament, a statement issued here said Saturday.
“The Dalai Lama was received at the Ferihegy airport in Budapest Friday,” according to a post on the website of the Tibetan government-in-exile here.
The city of Budapest will confer the honorary citizenship award on the Dalai Lama, it said.
He will visit parliament Sep 20 at the invitation of the Hungary parliament’s Tibet group where he will address invited members of parliament and other guests.
This is his seventh visit to Hungary. The first one was in 1982.
From Hungary, the Nobel laureate will travel to Germany Sep 21.
The Dalai Lama, 75, along with many of his supporters fled Tibet and took refuge in India when Chinese troops moved in and took control of Lhasa in 1959.
Since then he has been heading the Tibetan government-in-exile from here.
- Japanese support Dalai Lama's policy on Tibet - Sep 23, 2011
- Media censorship in China wrong: Dalai Lama - Dec 13, 2011
- Dalai Lama a symbol of peace: Dhumal - Sep 02, 2011
- Dalai Lama recalls Tibet's relations with India - Dec 14, 2010
- Exiles ask BRICS to raise Tibet with Hu - Mar 28, 2012
- Dalai Lama in Delhi for eye check-up (Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- Dalai Lama to speak on human rights in Asia - Dec 10, 2011
- Transparency first step for democracy in China: Dalai Lama - Jun 13, 2011
- Exiles to step on Tibetan soil brought to Himachal - Oct 25, 2011
- Free political prisoners in Tibet: Italian MPs - Mar 11, 2012
- Reincarnation is my personal right: Dalai Lama - Sep 23, 2011
- Dalai Lama speaks of Chinese plot to kill him - May 13, 2012
- Dharamsala calm as Wen arrives in India (Lead) - Dec 15, 2010
- Tibetans protest near Chinese embassy, detained - Mar 09, 2011
- Dalai Lama's envoys re-appointed - Jun 14, 2011
Tags: 10 years, budapest, buddha, chinese troops, citizenship award, dalai lama, dharamsala, ferihegy airport, gap, honorary citizenship, hungarian parliament, hungary, invitation, lhasa, members of parliament, nobel laureate, parliament, tibet group, tibetan government in exile, tibetan spiritual leader