Dalai Lama stable, to be discharged soonOctober 11th, 2008 - 8:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi/Dharamsala, Oct 11 (IANS) Exiled Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama, who underwent gall bladder surgery at a hospital in the national capital Friday, was in a stable condition Saturday and is likely to be discharged in a couple of days, sources said.“He (the Dalai Lama) is recuperating well and can be discharged by Tuesday,” Tenzin Taklha, a senior aide to the exiled leader, told IANS.
The 73-year-old Nobel laureate was admitted to Delhi’s Sir Ganga Ram Hospital Thursday for removing gallstones after he complained of abdominal pain.
“The spiritual guru underwent a laproscopic surgery to remove stones in the gallbladder,” Takhla said in Dharamsala.
The Dalai Lama has been going through repeated medical tests since August and has cancelled some trips outside India. He was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital in Mumbai twice in August after he complained of “abdominal discomfort”.
US President George W. Bush had telephoned the spiritual guru to inquire about his health last month.
In recent years, doctors have increased the medical examinations on him to ensure that the Tibetan spiritual leader is in a good health.
He made his first public appearance after nearly one month during a teaching ceremony at McLeodganj near Dharamsala Sep 25.
The Dalai Lama has lived in India since fleeing his homeland in 1959. His government-in-exile is not recognised by any country.
- Dalai Lama in Delhi for eye check-up (Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- Dalai Lama operated upon to remove gallstones (Second Lead) - Oct 10, 2008
- Dalai Lama operated upon to remove gallstones (Third lead) - Oct 10, 2008
- Dalai Lama's 77th birthday celebrated in Dharamsala - Jul 06, 2012
- Dalai Lama prays for Leh, Tibet cloudburst victims - Aug 14, 2010
- China, not Dalai Lama, to be blamed for self-immolations: Sangay - Mar 10, 2012
- Dalai Lama operated upon to remove gallbladder stones (Lead) - Oct 10, 2008
- Nirupama Rao to meet Dalai Lama in Mcleodganj - Jul 10, 2010
- Dalai Lama discharged from hospital - Oct 16, 2008
- Mahatma's grandson to attend Dalai Lama's birthday bash - Jul 04, 2011
- Chinese spy held near Dalai Lama palace - Mar 20, 2012
- The Dalai Lama: Torn between Tibet and India! - Mar 03, 2012
- More snow in Dalai Lama's abode (Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- Dalai Lama's 77th birthday celebrated in Dharamsala (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- On Dalai Lama's birthday, prayers for his long life - Jul 06, 2011