Dalai Lama prays for Leh, Tibet cloudburst victimsAugust 14th, 2010 - 12:45 pm ICT by IANS
Dharamsala, Aug 14 (IANS) Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama Saturday prayed for the victims of flash floods in Jammu and Kashmir’s Leh town and Zhouqu county in China, an aide said here.
Expressing his distress, the Nobel laureate participated in a mass prayer organised at the Tsuglagkhang temple at McLeodganj. He also offered condolences to the surviving family members.
“Hundreds of monks and nuns participated in the special prayer session,” Tenzin Taklha, the joint secretary at the Dalai Lama’s office, told IANS.
He said the Dalai Lama also prayed for victims of natural disasters in Pakistan and Russia.
“His Holiness also prayed for preserving the ecology and expressed concern over natural disasters in Pakistan (floods) and Russia (forest fires),” he added.
The Dalai Lama, along with many of his supporters, fled Tibet and took refuge in this Indian hill station in 1959. He has ever since been heading the Tibetan government-in-exile from here.
- Prayers, hunger strikes mark Tibetan sacred festival - Feb 22, 2012
- Buddhist monks in India pray for quake victims - Mar 13, 2011
- Dalai Lama to attend prayers for peace in Tibet - Oct 17, 2011
- On Dalai Lama's birthday, prayers for his long life - Jul 06, 2011
- Dalai Lama's 77th birthday celebrated in Dharamsala - Jul 06, 2012
- China, not Dalai Lama, to be blamed for self-immolations: Sangay - Mar 10, 2012
- Exiles celebrate Dalai Lama's birthday (Lead) - Jul 06, 2011
- Tibet's unique culture in peril, says PM-in-exile - Oct 19, 2011
- Exiles express solidarity with Tibet landslide victims - Aug 09, 2010
- Dalai Lama leads special prayers for Tibet flood victims in Dharamshala - Aug 14, 2010
- Mahatma's grandson to attend Dalai Lama's birthday bash - Jul 04, 2011
- Dalai Lama in Delhi for eye check-up (Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- McLeodganj deserted as residents leave en masse for Bodh Gaya - Dec 31, 2011
- Dalai Lama's 77th birthday celebrated in Dharamsala (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Dalai Lama is not a separatist, Archbishop Tutu tells China - Feb 10, 2012
Tags: cloudburst, condolences, dalai lama, flash floods, forest fires, holiness, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, mass prayer, mcleodganj, monks and nuns, natural disasters, nobel laureate, prayer session, special prayer, surviving family, tenzin, tibet, tibetan government in exile, tibetan spiritual leader