Dalai Lama operated upon to remove gallbladder stones (Lead)October 10th, 2008 - 3:21 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi/Dharamsala, Oct 10 (IANS) Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai Lama, who was admitted to the Sir Ganga Ram hospital in New Delhi Thursday after severe abdominal pain, underwent an operation for removal of gallbladder stones Friday morning, sources in the Tibetan government-in-exile said.“The Dalai Lama underwent a minor procedure this morning (Friday) at the Sir Ganga Ram hospital for removing stones from the gallbladder. There is no cause for worry. The doctors have advised him bed rest for a few more days in the hospital,” a source told IANS on condition of anonymity.
On Monday, the 73-year-old Nobel laureate’s office in Dharamsala - the Himachal Pradesh town where the Tibetan government-in-exile has its headquarters - had said the Dalai Lama would reach the capital for a routine medical check-up.
“On the advice of his personal physicians, he is going to Delhi for a routine medical examination…no need to worry,” Thubten Samphel, a spokesperson for the Tibetan government-in-exile, said.
When contacted Friday, Samphel said: “I am not in Dharamsala so I am not in a position to comment on this.”
The Dalai Lama has been undergoing repeated medical tests since August and cancelled some trips outside India. He was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital in Mumbai twice in August after he complained of “abdominal discomfort”.
Subsequently, he had also cancelled his visits to Europe, Mexico and the Dominican Republic.
In recent years, doctors have increased medical examinations to ensure that the spiritual guru was in good health.
He made his first public appearance after nearly one month during a teaching ceremony at McLeodganj near Dharamsala Sep 25.
The Dalai Lama has lived in India since fleeing his homeland in 1959. His government-in-exile is not recognised by any country.
- Dalai Lama heads to Delhi for medical examination - Jan 19, 2012
- Dalai Lama in Delhi for eye check-up (Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- Dalai Lama operated upon to remove gallstones (Second Lead) - Oct 10, 2008
- Dalai Lama in Delhi hospital after abdominal pain - Oct 10, 2008
- Dalai Lama uses donations to fund hospital - Feb 05, 2011
- Tibetans hail Dalai Lama-Obama meet - Jul 17, 2011
- Dalai Lama to attend prayers for peace in Tibet - Oct 17, 2011
- On Dalai Lama's birthday, prayers for his long life - Jul 06, 2011
- Tibetan meet aims to break deadlock with China - Oct 07, 2011
- Tibetans welcome Obama, Dalai Lama meeting - Jul 16, 2011
- Dalai Lama operated upon to remove gallstones (Third lead) - Oct 10, 2008
- Lobsang Sangay takes oath as Tibetan Kalon Tripa - Aug 08, 2011
- Dalai Lama will live to be 113 - Jul 06, 2011
- Exiles to step on Tibetan soil brought to Himachal - Oct 25, 2011
- Dalai Lama's 77th birthday celebrated in Dharamsala - Jul 06, 2012