Dalai Lama on way to US, Karmapa to followApril 10th, 2008 - 4:09 pm ICT by admin
Dharamsala, April 10 (IANS) Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama reached Japan Thursday on his way to the US. The Karmapa Lama, the only major monk reincarnate recognised by both the Tibetan leader and China, is also set to visit the US. Several dozen Japanese devotees and Tibetans were present at the Narita airport near Tokyo to welcome the Dalai Lama, a spokesman for the Tibetan government-in-exile said.
In Seattle, the Dalai Lama will take part in a series of lectures during a five-day conference on ‘Seeds of Compassion’ starting April 11, the spokesman said.
According to the organisers, more than 150,000 people are expected to join the conference.
The Karmapa Lama, who is the head of the Kagyu school of Buddhism, has been permitted by the Indian government to visit the US between May 15 and June 2.
“His Holiness the 17th Gyalwang Karmapa, Ogyen Trinley Dorje, will visit the US,” said the Karmapa’s spokesman here.
The Karmapa will visit New York, Woodstock, Colorado, Seattle and Washington and talk on Buddhist teachings.
This will be the first time the Karmapa Lama, 22, is travelling out of India since he fled Tibet and sought refuge here eight years ago.
His office has described his proposed visit to the US as “historic” and said that the Tibetan community was highly “appreciative” for the permission granted to him by the Indian government.
The Dalai Lama has lived in India since fleeing his homeland in 1959. His government-in-exile, which is not recognised by any country, is based in the hill town of Dharamsala.
- India allows Karmapa to visit US - Jul 06, 2011
- Cash row renews clash of rival Karmapas - Feb 04, 2011
- India says no to US tour of Tibetan monk - Jul 15, 2010
- High ranking lama arrested in Delhi - Jun 15, 2012
- 11 years after his escape, Karmapa remains as controversial - Jan 29, 2011
- Currency case: Petition against Karmapa dismissed - Apr 25, 2012
- After cash, Karmapa faces new controversy in contender - Apr 25, 2011
- Himachal court summons Karmapa over currency row - Feb 16, 2012
- Court drops charges against Karmapa in currency case - May 21, 2012
- Dalai Lama's 77th birthday celebrated in Dharamsala - Jul 06, 2012
- Karmapa concerned over unrest in Tibet (Lead) - Feb 06, 2012
- Court drops charges against Karmapa in currency case (Lead) - May 21, 2012
- Karmapa prays for happiness, peace - Jan 01, 2012
- Karmapa concerned over self-immolation by monks - Nov 09, 2011
- Karmapa not a Chinese spy, says Beijing - Jan 31, 2011