Dalai Lama nominated for EU’s human rights awardSeptember 6th, 2008 - 11:47 pm ICT by IANS
Brussels, Sep 6 (IANS) The Dalai Lama, Tibetan spiritual leader living in exile in India, has been nominated along with seven others for the European parliament’s Sakharov Award for freedom of thought and human rights this year. Ingrid Betancourt, former Colombian presidential candidate and political prisoner, is among the eight whose names have been submitted by members of the EU parliament, according to EuAsiaNews.
The prestigious prize named after Soviet scientist and dissident Andrei Sakharov was established in 1988 by the EU parliament to honour individuals or organisations who dedicate their lives to the defence of human rights and freedom.
The nominations will be officially presented to a joint meeting of the EU parliament’s Foreign Affairs committee, Development Committee and Human Rights Sub-Committee Tuesday.
They will shortlist three nominees and the winner will be chosen in mid-October and the award will be given Dec 17.
- Yoko Ono to give peace award to Pussy Riot - Sep 21, 2012
- Nobel to Liu could bring change in China: Dalai Lama - Oct 12, 2010
- Dalai Lama asks China to free Nobel winner Liu - Oct 08, 2010
- Shakira up for charity award - Mar 05, 2012
- Israeli nominee for Peace Nobel wants to be removed from list - Feb 25, 2010
- Dalai Lama criticizes China's response after Xiaobo's Nobel Peace Prize - Oct 11, 2010
- 'EU-India free trade top priority for Britain' - Nov 11, 2011
- European Parliament honours Chinese dissident - Oct 23, 2008
- Dalai Lama has thrown a gauntlet to Beijing (Comment) - Mar 13, 2011
- Nobel Peace Prize serves anti-China purpose: Chinese daily - Oct 09, 2010
- There is no Tibet issue, says China - Jan 04, 2012
- European Parliament rewards Chinese dissident Hu Jia - Dec 18, 2008
- Dalai Lama to speak on human rights in Asia - Dec 10, 2011
- Tibetans campaign for 'Mr. Tibet, Tibetan Idol' contests to promote their culture - Apr 03, 2011
- Dalai Lama prays at Bodh Gaya ahead of Kalachakra puja - Dec 31, 2011