Dalai Lama gives Rs.10 lakh for flood-hit OrissaSeptember 30th, 2011 - 11:23 pm ICT by IANS
Dharamsala, Sep 30 (IANS) Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama has contributed Rs.10 lakh for relief work in Orissa, which was hit by floods last week, his office said here Friday.
“I am saddened to know that some of the worst floods ever seen in Orissa have resulted in the loss of many lives and a great deal of property, wreaking havoc on millions of people in your state,” the Nobel laureate said in letter to Orissa Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik dated Sep 29.
“As a token of my sympathy and concern for this disaster, I am making a donation of Rs.10 lakh from The Dalai Lama Trust to support the relief work.
“I understand that a team of volunteers from the Tibetan settlement in Chandragiri in Ganjam district is also on its way to give help in the flood-affected areas,” said the letter.
The state has witnessed two rounds of floods during the past one month. The latest disaster was triggered by overflowing of the Brahmani, Baitarani and Budhabalanga rivers. It has so far hit more than 2.1 million people in 10 northern and central districts.
- Orissa flood situation continues to be grim - Sep 27, 2011
- Governor asks Orissa to probe dam 'mismanagement' - Oct 05, 2011
- Relief efforts intensified as Orissa floods worsen - Sep 25, 2011
- Flood-hit Orissa gets two more choppers - Sep 26, 2011
- Orissa airdrops food as floods get worse - Sep 24, 2011
- Fresh floods hit 900 Orissa villages - Sep 23, 2011
- Dalai Lama offers Rs.500,000 for quake relief - Sep 20, 2011
- Heavy rains cause flash floods in Orissa - Jul 21, 2009
- Dalai Lama to inaugurate Buddhist monastery in Orissa - Jan 10, 2010
- Dalai Lama saddened over Australian floods - Jan 11, 2011
- IGNOU to honour Dalai Lama - Aug 25, 2011
- Floods render 1,500 people homeless in Meghalaya - Aug 17, 2011
- Dalai Lama to console Leh cloudburst victims - Sep 10, 2010
- Floods displace over a million people in Karnataka, AP, and Maharashtra - Oct 05, 2009
- Tibetan government-in-exile gives Rs.1 mn for flood-hit Bihar - Sep 01, 2008
Tags: 1 million, chief minister, dalai lama, dharamsala, flood, lakh, latest disaster, naveen, nobel laureate, orissa, rivers, sympathy, tibetan settlement, tibetan spiritual leader, token, volunteers, worst floods, wreaking havoc