Dalai Lama gets honorary citizenship of Polish cityJune 25th, 2008 - 7:13 pm ICT by IANS
By Surender Bhutani
Warsaw, June 25 (IANS) Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama has been made an honorary citizen of Wroclaw, a big city in southwest Poland. This was announced Monday by the city’s president, Rafal Dutkiewicz.
Dutkiewicz lauded the Dalai Lama’s struggle for peace and independence for his people.
“The Dalai Lama has made tremendous efforts to keep the struggle going in face of a ruthless regime for the freedom of his people for five decades. Every lover of freedom and human rights should salute him. It is our privilege to confer upon him honorary citizenship of our city-Wroclaw,” said the city president.
The Polish government has invited the Dalai Lama to visit Poland this year. A date is being fixed for the trip. It is possible the Dalai Lama may go to Wroclaw then to accept the honorary citizenship.
The Dalai Lama enjoys widespread support in Poland. Many demonstrations have been held in the country in support of Tibet’s freedom since March in the wake of a crackdown by Chinese security forces in Tibet.
The Dalai Lama lives in India, heading a government-in-exile based in the hill town of Dharamsala. India is also home to some 100,000 Tibetan exiles. The Dalai Lama fled to India in 1959 after a failed revolt against Chinese rule over Tibet.
- Dalai Lama to address Hungarian parliament - Sep 18, 2010
- Dalai Lama becomes honorary citizenship of Warsaw - Jul 29, 2009
- Dalai Lama to get honorary citizenship of Warsaw - Jul 23, 2009
- Tibetan who died to be cremated in Dharamsala - Mar 29, 2012
- Self-immolations in Tibet politically motivated: Lawmaker - May 16, 2012
- Tibetans protest near Chinese embassy, detained - Mar 09, 2011
- Dalai Lama a symbol of peace: Dhumal - Sep 02, 2011
- Dalai Lama to attend prayers for peace in Tibet - Oct 17, 2011
- Dalai Lama expresses grief over death of Polish president - Apr 12, 2010
- Dalai Lama's 77th birthday celebrated in Dharamsala - Jul 06, 2012
- Tibetans protest as Wen arrives - Dec 15, 2010
- Dalai Lama named honorary citizen of Warsaw (Lead) - Jul 29, 2009
- Ready for epic journey to Lhasa: new Tibetan PM - Aug 08, 2011
- Dalai Lama will live to be 113 - Jul 06, 2011
- Media censorship in China wrong: Dalai Lama - Dec 13, 2011