Dalai Lama expresses grief over death of Polish presidentApril 12th, 2010 - 6:09 pm ICT by IANS
Dharamsala, April 12 (IANS) Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama has expressed sorrow over the death of Polish President Lech Kaczynski in an air crash in Russia last week. Kaczynski was an admirer of the Dalai Lama and had met him a number of times.
“In a letter to Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk April 10, His Holiness the Dalai Lama offered his condolences to the people of Poland for the loss of President Kaczynski, and all the others who died in a tragic air crash,” according to a post on the official website of the Tibetan government-in-exile Monday.
“His Holiness recalled having been privileged to meet the president when he visited Poland and expressed his admiration for the late president’s dedication to the cause of freedom, democracy and human rights,” said the post.
The Nobel laureate visited Poland in 1993, 2000, 2008 and 2009.
The Dalai Lama, who is now touring Europe, was made an honorary citizen of Warsaw in July 2009.
In Poland, the Tibetan leader is already an honorary citizen of Wroclaw and has an honorary doctorate from the Jagiellonian University.
In December 2008, he attended ceremonies to mark the 25th anniversary of the award of Nobel Peace Prize to Polish labour leader Lech Walesa, who became the first president of Poland after the fall of communism in eastern Europe.
Polish President Lech Kaczynski was killed Saturday in an air crash in western Russia.
- Tibetans grieve over Polish president's death - Apr 10, 2010
- Dalai Lama named honorary citizen of Warsaw (Lead) - Jul 29, 2009
- Dalai Lama becomes honorary citizenship of Warsaw - Jul 29, 2009
- Polish president, a friend of India, dies in air crash - Apr 10, 2010
- Warsaw names Dalai Lama honorary citizen - May 29, 2009
- Dalai Lama to get honorary citizenship of Warsaw - Jul 23, 2009
- Poland rejects Russia's report on President Kaczynski's death - Dec 17, 2010
- Kaczynski's brother blasts Russian probe of plane crash - Jan 12, 2011
- Krishna cancels trip to Poland - Apr 16, 2010
- No changes in Russia-Poland relations after plane crash report - Aug 04, 2011
- Krishna cancels trip to Poland (Lead) - Apr 16, 2010
- Poland dismisses air force officials after plane crash report - Aug 05, 2011
- Russia sends Poland files on presidential plane crash - Apr 07, 2011
- Poland to reconstruct jet crash that killed president - Jan 23, 2011
- Jataka tales add to Buddhist books in Poland - Oct 09, 2011
Tags: air crash, dalai lama, democracy and human rights, donald tusk, fall of communism, fall of communism in eastern europe, honorary citizen, honorary doctorate, jagiellonian university, labour leader, lech walesa, nobel laureate, nobel peace prize, polish president lech, president lech kaczynski, president of poland, tibetan government in exile, tibetan leader, tibetan spiritual leader, western russia