Dalai Lama congratulates China on New YearJanuary 25th, 2009 - 5:23 pm ICT by IANS
Dharamsala, Jan 25 (IANS) Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama Sunday congratulated the Chinese people on their New Year but asked their leadership to allow more freedom, rule of law and transparency in the country.”On the occasion of Chinese New Year, or the spring festival, I extend my affectionate greetings to all our Chinese brothers and sisters across the globe, including those living in mainland China,” the Dalai Lama said in a statement here.
“Besides having a long history of over 5,000 years and a splendidly rich cultural heritage, China is also the most populous nation in the world. Moreover, it is emerging as a superpower. However, China cannot perform the responsibility of a superpower in this modern and progressive world if there is no freedom, rule of law and transparency in the country,” the Nobel peace laureate said.
The exiled spiritual leader also said that a harmonious society cannot be brought about by tyrant leadership.
“President Hu Jintao’s policy of creating a harmonious society is indeed laudable. Harmonious society should, however, come about through mutual trust, friendship and justice. It cannot be brought about by brute force and autocracy,” he said.
The Dalai Lama fled to India in 1959 following Chinese occupation of Tibet. He heads the government-in-exile based in this town Himachal town. Around 100,000 Tibetan exiles live in India.
- Transparency first step for democracy in China: Dalai Lama - Jun 13, 2011
- Dalai Lama has thrown a gauntlet to Beijing (Comment) - Mar 13, 2011
- Refrain from self-immolation, Tibetian government-in-exile appeals - Sep 02, 2012
- China, not Dalai Lama, cause for self-immolation: Sangay (Lead) - Mar 10, 2012
- Exiles celebrate Dalai Lama's birthday (Lead) - Jul 06, 2011
- Restoring freedom of Tibetans top priority: Lobsang Sangay (Interview) - Aug 07, 2011
- Not encouraging self-immolations in Tibet: Dalai Lama - Nov 19, 2011
- Dalai Lama hands a democracy prescription to China - Mar 10, 2011
- Have gone through turbulence all my life: Dalai Lama - Dec 03, 2011
- Ready for epic journey to Lhasa: new Tibetan PM - Aug 08, 2011
- Reincarnation is my personal right: Dalai Lama - Sep 23, 2011
- Dalai Lama is not a separatist, Archbishop Tutu tells China - Feb 10, 2012
- Denmark asks China to resume dialogue with exiled Tibetans - May 31, 2011
- Find 'middle way' for Tibet solution: Sangay - Nov 27, 2011
- Media censorship in China wrong: Dalai Lama - Dec 13, 2011