Dalai Lama arrives in FranceAugust 11th, 2008 - 4:42 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, Aug 11 (DPA) Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai Lama Monday began a 12-day visit to France during which he was due to meet French lawmakers. No official reception was planned, but the Dalai Lama would meet privately with members from the Franco-Tibetan interest group, officials said.
French President Nicolas Sarkozy was not due to meet the Dalai Lama. While French media have been speculating over the politically sensitive nature of such a meeting, the Elysee Palace indicated that the Dalai Lama had not yet asked for a meeting with Sarkozy.
Sarkozy’s wife Carla was however due to be present at the inauguration of a new Buddhist temple near Paris Tuesday.
The Dalai Lama was due to meet French lawmakers Wednesday.
- China urges France to respect its Tibet concerns - Aug 20, 2008
- Dalai Lama prays at Bodh Gaya ahead of Kalachakra puja - Dec 31, 2011
- Sarkozy to return to old law firm - May 09, 2012
- At 76, Dalai Lama remains hopeful on Tibet - Jul 05, 2011
- Sarkozy promises to intensify air strikes in Libya - Apr 21, 2011
- Sarkozy will not meet Dalai Lama during French visit - Aug 07, 2008
- Indian foreign secretary meets Dalai Lama - Jun 07, 2012
- Dalai Lama 'disappointed' by Sarkozy, no Paris visit - Nov 02, 2008
- Chinese training Tibetan women to poison Dalai Lama? (Lead) - May 13, 2012
- US envoy meets Dalai Lama, discusses dialogue with China (Lead) - Feb 24, 2011
- Gere in Bodh Gaya to attend Dalai Lama's discourse - Jan 02, 2012
- Sarkozy says sorry as son hits cop with tomato - Mar 12, 2012
- US envoy to meet Dalai Lama in Dharamsala - Feb 23, 2011
- Sarkozy to visit Libya after Gaddafi's capture - Aug 26, 2011
- Francois Hollande sworn in as French president - May 15, 2012