Dalai Lama arrives in Britain after extended German tourMay 20th, 2008 - 5:08 pm ICT by admin
London, May 20 (DPA) The Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, arrived in Britain Tuesday for a 10-day tour that will include a meeting with Prime Minister Gordon Brown and an address to the British parliament. However, controversy has been raging about Brown’s decision to meet the 72-year-old leader at the headquarters of the Anglican Church in London, rather than in Downing Street, underlining that the visit is of a “spiritual rather than a political” nature.
Brown is due to meet the Dalai Lama Friday at Lambeth Palace, together with Rowan Williams, the Archbishop of Canterbury.
Pro-Chinese demonstrators are expected to protest against the visit, while pro-Tibetan groups have expressed anger at the apparent “downgrading” of the Dalai Lama’s political status.
The Dalai Lama’s visit to Britain follows an extended tour of Germany, dominated also by political controversy over the degree of political attention he should be given.
In Germany, only one government minister, Development Aid Minister Heidemarie Wieczorek-Zeul, met the spiritual leader for 45 minutes in Berlin.
- Dalai Lama meets fellow Nobel icon Suu Kyi - Jun 20, 2012
- At 76, Dalai Lama remains hopeful on Tibet - Jul 05, 2011
- Indian foreign secretary meets Dalai Lama - Jun 07, 2012
- Dalai Lama to meet Tutu - from a distance - Oct 07, 2011
- Dalai Lama meets British girl with brain tumour - May 22, 2012
- Didn't discuss Karmapa issue with US envoy: Dalai Lama's Office - Feb 28, 2011
- Another foreign visit for Dalai Lama - but not to Tibet - Jan 27, 2012
- Dalai Lama finally relinquishes political powers (Lead) - May 30, 2011
- Restrictions on our language triggered Tibet protests: Dalai Lama - Nov 06, 2010
- Committee to decide on Dalai Lama's political retirement - Mar 23, 2011
- India defends PM-Dalai Lama meeting (Lead) - Aug 21, 2010
- China against Dalai Lama's global activities - Jan 18, 2012
- US envoy meets Dalai Lama, discusses dialogue with China (Lead) - Feb 24, 2011
- Confusion about Australian PM was mistake: Dalai Lama's office - Jun 14, 2011
- The Dalai Lama: A monk on the move - Aug 23, 2010