Dacoity accused attempts suicide in lock-upJanuary 21st, 2011 - 10:23 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Jan 21 (IANS) An accused in the biggest jewellery heist in the city’s Tanishq showroom attempted suicide Friday inside police lock-up, police said.Police officials at the Mani Majra police station complex, where Bhura Qureshi was in police custody since last week, said the dacoity accused tried to hit his head against the lock-up walls several times to commit suicide.
Officials immediately entered the lock-up and prevented him from hurting himself further.
Qureshi was rushed to hospital by police personnel as he was bleeding from the head.
He was later booked for attempt to suicide.
Qureshi and at least 10 of his accomplices had carried out the dacoity in the Tanishq jewellery showroom in Mani Majra here earlier this month.
They had taken away gold jewellery worth over Rs.100 million (Rs.10 crore), leaving the Chandigarh police embarrassed.
However, a joint operation of the Chandigarh and Delhi police led to the arrest of nine of the accused in the dacoity. The gold jewellery looted was also recovered from their possession.
The gang had earlier looted nearly 1,000 mobile phones, worth about Rs.10 million (Rs.one crore) from a shop in Delhi.
- Eight held in Delhi, Ghaziabad for Rs.10 crore Chandigarh heist (Lead) - Jan 16, 2011
- After heist, Chandigarh banks told to install police alarms - Jan 13, 2011
- One more arrested in jewellery heist - Mar 24, 2011
- Chandigarh jewellers asked to install security systems - Jan 23, 2011
- Two held in Delhi, one in Ghaziabad for Chandigarh heist - Jan 16, 2011
- Police arrest ninth accused in Rs.10 crore heist - Jan 18, 2011
- Rs.100 mn robbery in Chandigarh jewellery store (Second Lead) - Jan 13, 2011
- Posing as cops, miscreants loot jewellery showroom (Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- Posing as cops, miscreants loot jewellery showroom - Jan 12, 2011
- Rs.20 lakh looted from car showroom, guard murdered - Jan 17, 2011
- Gold worth Rs.one crore looted - Oct 30, 2010
- NRI killed while saving wife's jewellery in Chandigarh - Mar 21, 2011
- 23 kg gold stolen from Mumbai jewellery store - Dec 11, 2010
- Gold worth Rs.1 crore robbed from Andhra Bank - May 12, 2010
- Assailants rob retired principal's house, 1 held - Apr 23, 2012
Tags: 10 million, 100 million, accomplices, attempts suicide, chandigarh police, crore, dacoity, delhi police, heist, jan 21, jewellery, mani majra, mobile phones, police custody, police officials, police station, qureshi, rs one, several times, tanishq