Dacoits loot Rs 3.7 mn in AmritsarJune 4th, 2008 - 12:33 am ICT by IANS
Amritsar, June 3 (IANS) In a daring daylight dacoity, a group of armed men Tuesday attacked a bank cash delivery van here and decamped with Rs.3.7 million. They stopped the State Bank of India (SBI) van and then hijacked the vehicle after firing at an armed security guard accompanying it.
The guard, Gurdial Singh, was injured in the incident and later taken to hospital.
The incident took place in the vicinity of Bhagtanwala locality where Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal was holding his ’sangat darshan’, or public audience, programme. Scores of policemen were posted in the area for his security.
The bank van was carrying cash for automated teller machines (ATMs) in the city.
This is the second dacoity in the city within one week.
A group of dacoits had attempted to rob an ICICI Bank van in the upscale Ranjit Avenue area May 29. But they did not get anything as the van was not carrying any cash.
Punjab Police Inspector General R.P. Meena said the dacoity was being investigated.
- ATM with Rs.30 lakh destroyed in fire - Aug 08, 2012
- ATM with Rs.10 lakh gutted in Ghaziabad - May 17, 2012
- ATM with Rs.7.60 lakh hijacked in Pune - Jul 05, 2011
- Gold worth Rs.one crore looted - Oct 30, 2010
- Strike doesn't affect life in Tamil Nadu - Feb 28, 2012
- Server failure hits SBI services - Oct 01, 2011
- Rs.59 lakh looted from bank van in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 12, 2011
- Rs.22 lakh for Deutsche Bank ATM stolen in Noida - Jul 16, 2010
- Four criminals lynched in Jharkhand - Jan 25, 2012
- ATM bombings continue unabated in South Africa - Jun 06, 2012
- Dacoits loot gold worth over Rs.1 crore (Lead) - Oct 30, 2010
- Robbers take away ATM - May 14, 2011
- ATM catches fire in Noida, cash safe - Mar 26, 2010
- Rs.33 lakh looted from bank van (Lead, changing dateline) - Mar 31, 2012
- IOB mulls new core banking solution on Oracle platform - May 05, 2012