Czech opposition demands court hearing on US missile dealNovember 3rd, 2008 - 10:14 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Nov 3 (IANS) The Czech Republic’s opposition Social Democratic Party Monday demanded the Constitutional Court to examine the legality of agreements signed with the US on deploying an anti-missile radar in the country. “The two agreements on the placement of an anti-missile radar signed by (Prime Minister) Mirek Topolanek’s government must be examined in the country’s Constitutional Court,” said Lubomir Zaoralek, the opposition party’s deputy chairman and parliament’s vice speaker.
The agreement to station a US radar in the Czech Republic was signed July 8 by US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and Czech Foreign Minister Karel Schwarzenberg.
The lower house of parliament began debates last Wednesday on the missile defence treaty and a Status of Forces Agreement on the deployment of US troops at the radar base, to be built in the Brdy military district, about 90 km south of Prague.
According to polls, 70 percent of Czech citizens oppose the deployment of the anti-missile radar.
The government’s signing of the agreements does not guarantee that the radar will be built. The documents must be ratified by both houses of parliament, then signed by President Vaclav Klaus.
The radar is part of a planned missile shield system that would also include the deployment of 10 interceptor missiles in Poland. The US says it needs the Central European shield to protect against attacks by “rogue states” such as Iran.
The plans are fiercely opposed by Russia, which sees the missile shield as a threat to its national security and the international system of nuclear deterrence.
Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has vowed to “respond appropriately” to the deployment of the missile shield.
- US missile deal was a mistake: Poland - Aug 05, 2012
- Spain to host elements of NATO anti-missile shield - Oct 06, 2011
- Czech Republic may sell combat jets to Iraq - Apr 19, 2011
- Russia wants presence at Czech missile defence sites - Oct 21, 2008
- Czech Republic, US ink missile shield treaty - Jul 08, 2008
- Russia threatens to stop missile defence cooperation with US - Oct 06, 2011
- US economic policy is the 'road to hell': Czech PM - Mar 25, 2009
- Russia-NATO missile shield talks stalled ahead of 2012 summit - Oct 31, 2011
- US, Czech Republic sign missile shield deal (Lead) - Jul 09, 2008
- Czech ex-president Havel to be buried Friday - Dec 19, 2011
- Czech, US fail to complete missile-shield talks - Apr 25, 2008
- US scraps missile defence plan for Czech Republic - Jun 15, 2011
- Russia may scrap n-arms treaty over US missile shield: expert - Jul 10, 2008
- Czech-US talks on missile defence treaty continue - Apr 10, 2008
- Moscow reiterates its missile defence posture - Aug 21, 2012