Czech entomologist jumps bail, flees IndiaOctober 29th, 2008 - 2:45 am ICT by IANS
Siliguri (West Bengal), Oct 29 (IANS) A Czech national who was sentenced to three years imprisonment by a court for collecting rare insects from a national park in Darjeeling has fled India after jumping bail, the police said Tuesday.Entomologist Emil Kuchera left India by crossing the country’s border with Nepal on Oct 21, the police said. Kuchera left behind his passport that was in the custody of Darjeeling Chief Judicial Magistrate.
The incident came to light, when the owner of the hotel, where Kuchera had put up after being given bail for appealing against his sentence to a higher court, lodged a complaint at the Darjeeling Sadar police station that the Czech was missing from his room.
Kuchera had told the hotel staff that he would be going to nearby Karseyong town.
Kuchera and his partner Petr Seapetr had been arrested under the Wildlife Protection Act on June 22 near Singalila National Park, some 100 km from Darjeeling town for collecting rare insects like beetles, butterflies and moths without permission.
Both were sent to jail, however, their case in court got delayed due to Gorkhaland agitation launched by the Gorkha Janamukti Morcha that saw lawyers cease work in the Darjeeling district court.
Later, Kuchera got a three years imprisonment besides a fine of Rs.60,000, while Seapetr was let off with a fine of Rs 20,000.
Kuchera was later given bail for appealing to a higher court, but his passport was impounded.
- Court grants Czech's plea to get back passport - Nov 07, 2008
- Czechoslovakian entomologist jumps bail, escapes from India - Oct 28, 2008
- Darjeeling court convicts two Czech entomologists - Sep 11, 2008
- Scientists call for release of Czech jailed in India - Jul 04, 2008
- Actor John Abraham detained - Mar 09, 2012
- Apex court allows Chisty to visit Pakistan (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Bangkok's insect food: protein-rich cricket cookies, bamboo-worm pizzas (Feature with pics) - Mar 25, 2012
- Two President's Bodyguards get life term for rape - Aug 24, 2012
- SC upholds life for former MP Anand Mohan (Second Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- Apex court allows Chisty to visit Pakistan (Second Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Two months jail for Andhra minister - Jul 25, 2012
- Rathore deposits passport in court - Jan 14, 2010
- Khalil Chisti's release to take a few days - Apr 09, 2012
- Salman told to appear in court in poaching case - Aug 09, 2011
- Former Delhi judge awarded 3-year jail for graft - Apr 28, 2012