Cyclone threat along Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu coastsDecember 27th, 2011 - 2:13 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Dec 27 (IANS) The south Andhra and north Tamil Nadu coast is facing the threat of a cyclone later in the week with a cyclonic storm formation in the Bay of Bengal likely to intensify and hit the coast between Tamil Nadu and Andhra on Dec 30, the weather office said Tuesday.
The cyclonic formation named ‘Thane’ is likely to turn into a severe cyclonic storm and cross the coast between Cuddalore and Nellore by the morning of Dec 30, according to the India Meteorological Department (IMD).
An early morning bulletin of IMD said the cyclonic storm remained practically stationary and lay centred about 800 km east-southeast of Chennai.
The system is likely to move northwestwards and intensify into a severe cyclonic storm during the next 24 hours.
Warning signal two has been hoisted at all ports on the Andhra coast and fishermen have been advised against venturing into the sea, said officials at the Visakhapatnam Cyclone Warning Centre.
Under the impact of the cyclonic storm, high tidal waves damaged over 200 boats along the coast in the Visakhapatnam and West Godavari districts on Monday night. Officials said the waves washed away 50 boats.
The incursion of sea water on land was as much as 15 metres in some coastal villages. Sea conditions have turned rough along the Andhra coast and are likely to remain so over the next two to three days.
Under the influence of the cyclone system, rainfall is likely at most places in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands during the next 24 hours. Rainfall is also likely to commence over north coastal Tamil Nadu, Puducherry and south coastal Andhra Pradesh from Dec 28.
A wind speed of 45-55 kmph is likely to prevail along and off the Andaman and Nicobar Islands during the next 24 hours and such winds are likely to commence along and off north Tamil Nadu, Puducherry and south Andhra Pradesh coasts from Dec 28 night onwards.
- Andhra on alert as cyclone 'Thane' threatens coast (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Coastal Andhra braces for cyclone 'Thane' (Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- High tidal waves lash Andhra coast - Dec 28, 2011
- Cyclone Thane to cross Tamil Nadu coast Friday morning - Dec 29, 2011
- Navy rescues 11 fishermen, Andhra coast on high alert (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Cyclonic storm 'Jal' moves slightly, alert sounded in Andhra, Tamil Nadu - Nov 06, 2010
- Tamil Nadu gears up for cyclone Thane (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Cyclone Thane makes landfall in Tamil Nadu (Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Tidal waves continue to slam Andhra coast - Dec 29, 2011
- Rain-battered coastal Andhra braces for cyclone - Nov 04, 2010
- Cyclone may hit Tamil Nadu, Andhra - Nov 04, 2010
- Andhra faces cyclone threat, 16 killed in rains (Lead) - Nov 02, 2010
- Andhra faces cyclone threat, 20 killed in rains (Second Lead) - Nov 02, 2010
- Cyclone Thane kills five in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry (Second Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Relief for coastal Andhra as cyclone threat dissipates - Nov 08, 2010
Tags: andaman and nicobar, andaman and nicobar islands, bay of bengal, coastal villages, cuddalore, cyclone system, east southeast, incursion, india meteorological department, kmph, nellore, puducherry, sea conditions, severe cyclonic storm, storm formation, tidal waves, visakhapatnam, warning centre, warning signal, weather office