Cyclone Ivan kills 11 in MadagascarFebruary 19th, 2008 - 11:39 pm ICT by admin
Antananarivo (Madagascar), Feb 19 (DPA) Tropical cyclone Ivan had been downgraded to a tropical storm by Tuesday as it headed for flood-ravaged Mozambique after killing 11 people on the Indian Ocean island of Madagascar, where it reportedly flattened a hotel. The tourist paradise of Sainte Marie island off Madagascar was the worst-hit area as the cyclone, dubbed Ivan the Terrible by local media, slammed into the east coast at wind speeds of more than 230 km per hour, the Tribune de Madagascar reported.
Nine people were killed on Sainte Marie and 90 percent of the island’s infrastructure was destroyed, including a hotel, which collapsed in the storm, the paper reported.
A further two deaths were reported in Fenerive Est district, also in the east part of the impoverished island, the world’s fourth largest.
All flights to the island were suspended during the storm and several areas were without electricity.
Ivan was expected to hit central Mozambique Tuesday or Wednesday where accompanying rains could exacerbate the heaviest flooding in the flood-prone country in many years caused by torrential seasonal rains.
Around 100,000 people have already been evacuated to higher ground from four main river valleys in the former Portuguese colony.
- 65 killed in cyclone Irina in Madagascar - Mar 06, 2012
- 14 killed, 27,000 homeless in Madagascar storm - Mar 14, 2010
- Pakistani held with weapons in Madagascar - Jul 19, 2012
- 11 die in Philippines storm - Aug 08, 2012
- New depression prompts tropical storm warnings in the Caribbean - Aug 21, 2012
- Massive evacuation ordered in US due to flooding - Sep 09, 2011
- Australian Cyclone Yasi Downgrades To Category 1 Storm, Expected To Bring Flood In Queensland - Feb 03, 2011
- 90 die in Philippines floods - Aug 13, 2012
- 23 die as hurricane rains hit Central America - Oct 13, 2011
- Cyclone hits northern Australia - Feb 16, 2011
- Tropical Storm Emily forms in the Caribbean, heads for the Dominican Republic - Aug 02, 2011
- Weakened Irene causes little damage in New York - Aug 28, 2011
- Death toll from Typhoon Bolaven in North Korea reaches 59 - Sep 06, 2012
- Tropical Storm Hermine Weakens After It Hits Texas - Sep 08, 2010
- Typhoon Talas leaves at least 18 dead in Japan - Sep 04, 2011