CWG scam: High Court declines bail to ReddyMay 15th, 2012 - 2:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 15 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Tuesday dismissed the bail plea of A.K. Reddy, arrested for alleged lapses in a Rs.141 crore contract for timing, scoring and result equipment for the 2010 Commonwealth Games.
Justice Mukta Gupta, while dismissing Reddy’s bail plea, said: “I don’t find any merit in the contentions made by the petitioner’s counsel. I hereby dismiss the petition.”
Reddy, an official of Hyderabad-based A.K.R. Construction, is the only accused in the case still in the Tihar Jail. All others, including the CWG Organising Committee’s former chief Suresh Kalmadi, have got bail.
Seeking bail on the ground of parity, Reddy pleaded that the main accused Kalmadi and other accused were on bail.
He told the court that the alleged role attributed to him was minor when compared to others like Kalmadi.
Reddy’s petition said: “All co-accused against whom more serious and grave allegations are alleged by CBI have been released on regular bail. On the ground of parity, there is no impediment in discharging me on regular bail on just conditions.”
The charge sheet did not disclose that he had conspired or was in any way involved in the alleged conspiracy with any of the organising committee members or even the other accused, Reddy’s lawyer contended.
“The charge sheet does not allege that … the applicant had, in fact, in pursuance of the demand handed over any such gratification,” said the petition.
Reddy moved court after the special court hearing the case rejected his bail plea Feb 16.
The accused officials and two companies were charged under the Indian Penal Code for cheating, criminal conspiracy and forgery and under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
- CWG graft case: Court notice to CBI on Reddy's bail plea - Feb 29, 2012
- CWG scam: Order reserved on accused's bail plea (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- CWG scam: After Kalmadi gets bail, Bhanot moves plea - Jan 19, 2012
- CWG scam: Decision on bail plea of two accused Feb 15 (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Three CWG scam accused denied anticipatory bail - Aug 02, 2011
- CWG graft case: Two accused granted bail (Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- Three CWG scam accused denied anticipatory bail (Lead) - Aug 02, 2011
- CWG scam: Three more granted bail (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- Court reserves order on CWG accused's bail plea (Lead) - Jul 27, 2011
- CWG scam: Bhanot, four others denied bail (Second Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- CWG scam: Private firm promoter surrenders - Aug 20, 2011
- CWG scam: Decision on Reddy's bail plea Feb 16 - Feb 15, 2012
- CWG scam: Kalmadi's bail plea rejected (Second Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
- CWG timing system contract case trial to start June 6 - May 25, 2011
- CWG graft: High Court notice to CWG accused - May 04, 2012
Tags: 2010 commonwealth games, bail plea, cbi, committee members, contentions, criminal conspiracy, delhi high court, forgery, gratification, gupta, impediment, indian penal code, lapses, mukta, New Delhi, parity, petitioner, prevention of corruption act, suresh kalmadi, tihar jail