CWG scam: Decision on bail plea of two accused Feb 15 (Lead)February 13th, 2012 - 8:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 13 (IANS) A CBI special court hearing a corruption case related to the 2010 Commonwealth Games (CWG) reserved its order till Feb 15 on the bail plea of two accused.
A.K. Reddy and A.K. Madan, both employees of two private companies, were arrested for alleged irregularities in awarding a Rs.141 crore contract for timing, scoring and result (TSR) equipment for the Games held in New Delhi.
Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Special Judge Talwant Singh reserved his order after hearing the argument.
Reddy, official of Hyderabad-based company A.K.R. Construction, and Madan, promoter of Gem International, are the only accused in the case lodged in Tihar Jail.
Former CWG Organising Committee’s chief Suresh Kalmadi and eight other officials accused in the case have been released on bail.
Reddy’s counsel told the court that his client must be allowed bail as he had never tried to influence the witnesses in the case.
He said that the Delhi High Court had granted bail to scam mastermind Kalmadi Jan 19.
The CBI opposed the bail pleas saying that the accused tried to evade trial before their arrest and if they were released on bail they could flee from justice.
The CBI in its first charge sheet in the case against Kalmadi and 10 others described him as a prime accused and the mastermind in the corruption case.
The officials and two companies were charged under various sections of the Indian Penal Code for cheating, criminal conspiracy and forgery and under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
- CWG scam: Decision on Reddy's bail plea Feb 16 - Feb 15, 2012
- CWG graft case: Two accused granted bail (Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- CWG scam: Three more granted bail (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- CWG scam: Argument on charge from Feb 1 (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- CWG scam: Private firm promoter surrenders - Aug 20, 2011
- Court reserves order on CWG accused's bail plea (Lead) - Jul 27, 2011
- CBI charges Kalmadi, eight others in CWG case (Third Lead) - May 20, 2011
- CWG scam: Bhanot, four others denied bail (Second Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- CWG graft case: Court notice to CBI on Reddy's bail plea - Feb 29, 2012
- CWG scam: Kalmadi's bail plea rejected (Second Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
- CBI names Kalmadi prime accused in CWG chargesheet (Roundup) - May 20, 2011
- CWG scam: High Court declines bail to Reddy - May 15, 2012
- CWG scam: Ex-official's bail plea rejected - Jun 15, 2011
- CWG graft: High Court notice to CWG accused - May 04, 2012
- CWG scam: Order reserved on accused's bail plea (Lead) - May 08, 2012
Tags: 2010 commonwealth games, bail plea, bail pleas, cbi, central bureau of investigation, corruption case, criminal conspiracy, crore, cwg, delhi high court, forgery, gem international, indian penal code, irregularities, jan 19, mastermind, prevention of corruption act, private companies, special judge, suresh kalmadi