CWG scam: After Kalmadi gets bail, Bhanot moves plea

January 19th, 2012 - 10:15 pm ICT by IANS  

New Delhi, Jan 19 (IANS) Commonwealth Games Organising Committee’s (OC) former secretary general Lalit Bhanot and former official M. Jayachandran sought bail from a CBI special court here Thursday after former OC chief Suresh Kalmadi was freed on bail by the Delhi High court in a corruption case.

Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Special Judge Talwant Singh asked the probe agency to file its reply on bail applications of Bhanot and Jayachandran by Saturday.

Jayachandran’s counsel P.K. Sharma told IANS that the bail plea was moved on the ground of parity. “As the OC chief was granted bail, so my client also deserves bail,” he said.

Bail pleas of Bhanot, Jayachandran and other three accused were dismissed by the trial court earlier Jan 4.

They were arrested for alleged irregularities in awarding a contract for timing, scoring and result (TSR) equipment for the 2010 Games.

The CBI in its first charge sheet in the case against Kalmadi and 10 others described him as a prime accused and the mastermind in the corruption case related to financial irregularities in awarding the Rs.141 crore contract for the TSR system.

The officials and two companies were charged under various sections of the Indian Penal Code for cheating, criminal conspiracy and forgery, and under the Prevention of Corruption Act.

Kalmadi was granted bail earlier in the day by the high court. Justice Mukta Gupta allowed Kalmadi’s bail plea on a personal bond of Rs.5 lakh with two sureties of the same amount.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Uncategorized |

Subscribe