CWG scam: After Kalmadi gets bail, Bhanot moves pleaJanuary 19th, 2012 - 10:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 19 (IANS) Commonwealth Games Organising Committee’s (OC) former secretary general Lalit Bhanot and former official M. Jayachandran sought bail from a CBI special court here Thursday after former OC chief Suresh Kalmadi was freed on bail by the Delhi High court in a corruption case.
Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Special Judge Talwant Singh asked the probe agency to file its reply on bail applications of Bhanot and Jayachandran by Saturday.
Jayachandran’s counsel P.K. Sharma told IANS that the bail plea was moved on the ground of parity. “As the OC chief was granted bail, so my client also deserves bail,” he said.
Bail pleas of Bhanot, Jayachandran and other three accused were dismissed by the trial court earlier Jan 4.
They were arrested for alleged irregularities in awarding a contract for timing, scoring and result (TSR) equipment for the 2010 Games.
The CBI in its first charge sheet in the case against Kalmadi and 10 others described him as a prime accused and the mastermind in the corruption case related to financial irregularities in awarding the Rs.141 crore contract for the TSR system.
The officials and two companies were charged under various sections of the Indian Penal Code for cheating, criminal conspiracy and forgery, and under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
Kalmadi was granted bail earlier in the day by the high court. Justice Mukta Gupta allowed Kalmadi’s bail plea on a personal bond of Rs.5 lakh with two sureties of the same amount.
- After Kalmadi, his aides Bhanot, Jayachandran get bail (Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- CWG scam: Three more granted bail (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- CWG graft: High Court notice to CWG accused - May 04, 2012
- CWG scam: Bhanot, four others denied bail (Second Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- CWG scam: Lalit Bhanot's bail plea rejected (Lead) - Jul 05, 2011
- Award of contract to Swiss Timing transparent, says Bhanot - Aug 03, 2012
- CBI charges Kalmadi, eight others in CWG case (Third Lead) - May 20, 2011
- CWG case: Kalmadi's bail plea dismissed - Jun 06, 2011
- CWG scam: Bail denied to Bhanot, four others (Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- Kalmadi to walk out of jail after nine months (Evening Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- CWG scam: Kalmadi's bail plea rejected (Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
- CWG scam: Kalmadi's bail plea rejected (Second Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
- CBI court allows Kalmadi to go to Kazakhstan - Apr 18, 2012
- CWG scam: Bhanot calls CBI case prejudiced - Jul 27, 2012
- Not involved in Games' equipment purchases: Kalmadi - May 24, 2012
Tags: bail plea, cbi, central bureau of investigation, commonwealth games, corruption case, court justice, criminal conspiracy, crore, delhi high court, financial irregularities, indian penal code, lakh, lalit bhanot, mukta, organising committee, personal bond, prevention of corruption act, special judge, suresh kalmadi, sureties