CWG graft case: Ex-official’s bail plea to be heard June 6May 30th, 2011 - 8:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 30 (IANS) A Delhi court hearing a corruption case related to the 2010 Commonwealth Games (CWG) Monday deferred till June 6 the hearing on the bail plea of former Organising Committee (OC) official Surjeet Lal.
Special Judge Talwant Singh posted the matter related to the plea of Lal, former OC deputy director general (procurement), for June 6 after his counsel so pleaded.
The court May 26 heard the arguments on the bail pleas of former OC chief Suresh Kalmadi, listed as prime accused in the case, and former OC joint director general (sports) A.S.V. Prasad.
While arguing for bail, Kalmadi’s counsel Siddhartha Luthra raised questions over the role of Jarnail Singh, former OC CEO.
Dubbing Singh as an “absconder, Luthra said: “As the fulcrum of the CBI (Central Bureau of Investigation) case, the charge sheet has hinged on letters and correspondences of Singh… how was he not listed as a witness or approver in the case.”
The CBI May 20 filed its first charge sheet in the case against Kalmadi and 10 others, describing him as a prime accused and the mastermind in the corruption case related to financial irregularities in awarding a Rs.141-crore contract for timing, scoring and result (TSR) system for the Games.
All the 11 accused, including two companies, have been charged under various sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), including section 120(B) (criminal conspiracy), section 420 (cheating), section 468 and 471 (forgery), and the Prevention of Corruption Act.
Kalmadi, Prasad and Lal were arrested April 26. They are all presently in Tihar Jail.
- Kalmadi questions role of ex-official - May 26, 2011
- CWG scam: Three more granted bail (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- CBI charges Kalmadi, eight others in CWG case (Third Lead) - May 20, 2011
- CWG case: Kalmadi's bail plea dismissed - Jun 06, 2011
- CWG scam: Bhanot, four others denied bail (Second Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- CWG scam: After Kalmadi gets bail, Bhanot moves plea - Jan 19, 2012
- CWG scam: Kalmadi's bail plea rejected (Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
- CWG timing system contract case trial to start June 6 - May 25, 2011
- CWG scam: Kalmadi's bail plea rejected (Second Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
- CWG scam: Lalit Bhanot's bail plea rejected (Lead) - Jul 05, 2011
- CBI files chargesheet against Kalmadi, eight others (Second Lead) - May 20, 2011
- Not involved in Games' equipment purchases: Kalmadi - May 24, 2012
- CBI names Kalmadi prime accused in CWG chargesheet (Roundup) - May 20, 2011
- CWG scam: Bail denied to Bhanot, four others (Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- Kalmadi's custody extended till June 1 - May 18, 2011
Tags: 2010 commonwealth games, approver, bail plea, bail pleas, central bureau of investigation, correspondences, corruption case, criminal conspiracy, crore, delhi court, financial irregularities, general sports, graft case, indian penal code, jarnail singh, lal, organising committee, prevention of corruption act, siddhartha, special judge