Custody of girl raped by BSP legislator extended in theft caseJanuary 14th, 2011 - 9:02 pm ICT by IANS
Banda (Uttar Pradesh), Jan 14 (IANS) A local court here Friday extended the judicial remand of the minor girl - allegedly raped by ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) legislator Purshottam Naresh Dwivedi and his henchmen - in a theft case for 14 days, officials said.The remand was extended by the civil judge (Junior Division) Ravi Gupta.
“I am a bit satisfied as some justice has meted out to me. But, at the same time I fear for my life as the legislator who raped me is lodged in the same jail where I am,” the girl told reporters outside the court before she was whisked away by policemen.
Meanwhile, officials said that hearing on the bail application of the girl would be taken up by a court in Banda Jan 17.
After raping the girl, who belongs to the Other Backward Classes (OBC), Dwivedi got her arrested Dec 15 night on charges of stealing his licensed revolver, a mobile phone and Rs. 5,000 cash.
Chief Minister Mayawati Wednesday ordered the arrest of her party legislator after the preliminary report submitted by the crime branch of the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) confirmed that the teen was gang-raped.
Following the directions of the chief minister, Dwivedi was arrested here Thursday and sent to Banda Jail.
“As per the preliminary report submitted by CID, the girl was kept under illegal confinement for four days Dec 8-12, 2010. However, there was no sexual assault on her for the first three days, but on the night of Dec 11 and 12, she was raped twice, not only by the MLA but also by his cohorts,” Cabinet Secretary Shashank Shekhar Singh had told reporters in Lucknow.
“The preliminary report has also found the girl guilty of committing a theft of Rs.5,000 from the house of the MLA, from where she also took away his daughter-in-law’s mobile phone,” Singh added.
- BSP legislator accused of rape arrested (Second Lead) - Jan 13, 2011
- Banda rape: CBI books BSP legislator - Sep 22, 2011
- Mayawati orders BSP legislator's arrest in minor's gang rape - Jan 12, 2011
- Banda rape case: Enquiry ordered into jail warden's claims - Jan 17, 2011
- Supreme Court moved on Banda rape - Jan 20, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh girl was raped by legislator, his guards - Jan 11, 2011
- Mayawati orders BSP legislator's arrest in minor's rape (Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- Apex court notice to Uttar Pradesh on Banda rape - Jan 21, 2011
- Congress for judicial probe against rape-accused BSP lawmaker - Jan 02, 2011
- I want to kill BSP legislator: Banda rape victim - Jan 16, 2011
- Rahul travels to Banda village to meet rape victim (Lead, Changing dateline) - Feb 07, 2011
- High court prompts Mayawati to release Banda rape victim (Lead) - Jan 15, 2011
- Rape accused legislator claims he is impotent - Jan 04, 2011
- Mayawati suspends BSP legislator accused of rape (Lead) - Jan 02, 2011
- Banda rape case: MLA did rape me, says Dalit girl - Jan 14, 2011
Tags: cabinet secretary, chief minister, civil judge, cohorts, crime branch, criminal investigation department, criminal investigation department cid, gupta, henchmen, illegal confinement, judicial remand, legislator, local court, Mayawati, preliminary report, sexual assault, shashank, shekhar, theft case, uttar pradesh